How to get Permission to See Tables Diagram in MSSQL2014

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the speaker is having trouble viewing the diagrams for their database in MSSQL 2014. They can see all the tables and table contents without a problem, but cannot view the ERD (Entity-Relation Diagram). They suspect it may be due to their access level, but are unsure how to check their access level or obtain the necessary permissions. They mention using a full version of MSSQL 2014, 64-bit and downloading it from a website. They also provide links to resources that may be helpful in solving the issue.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I am using a prefab database from MSSQL 2014 (I installed it and imported a file from Murach's site containing scripts, I queried the scripts , whose output was the database). I can see all the tables and the table contents, i.e.,
my 'Select * from table_name ' all run without a problem. But I get nothing when I ask to see the table
diagrams, i.e., the ERD (Entity-Relation Diagram), I get nothing. I have read something to the effect that
viewing diagrams (even without the option of changing/rewriting) requires a certain level of access, which
I assume I don't have (although I believe that during the installation process I was automatically assigned the role of dba). Anyone know how to go about viewing the DB's ERD? Is there a way of figuring out my access level in this database setup?
Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
Did you use the import assistant or simply start the script without an import? Is it the full or express version of MSSQL 2014, 64 or 32 bit?

The script was part of some freeware in Murach's website (unaffiliated to MSSQL2014, AFAIK), as a .zip file. I just copied the file contents and ran them as a query. It was a full version of MSSQL2014, 64-bit which I downloaded in a "standard" way, by selecting MSSQL2014 with tools as the file I wanted to download, and then clicking..

If you don't even see the Diagrams folder above the Tables folder in Sql Management Studio, you need to get your user id added to the correct role:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186345.aspx

About what a "role" is:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189121.aspx

If you're using a server managed by a database administrator, they will resist giving you that role in many cases, which is quite frustrating. But on your own local machine, you can always give it to yourself using the 'sa' account or other administrator account. Here's where you do that:

setting_roles.jpg

Last edited:
Likes WWGD

Related to How to get Permission to See Tables Diagram in MSSQL2014

1. How do I request permission to see tables and diagrams in MSSQL2014?

In order to request permission, you will need to contact the database administrator or the person in charge of granting permissions for your organization. They will be able to assist you with the process and determine if you have the necessary access and privileges to view the tables and diagrams.

2. What information do I need to provide when requesting permission to view tables and diagrams?

You will need to provide specific details about the tables and diagrams you would like to access, as well as your reason for needing this information. It may also be helpful to provide your credentials and any relevant background information that can support your request.

3. How long does it take to get permission to see tables and diagrams in MSSQL2014?

The time it takes to get permission will vary depending on the specific permissions process in place for your organization. It is best to follow up with the person in charge of granting permissions to get an estimated timeline for your request.

4. What should I do if my request for permission to view tables and diagrams is denied?

If your request is denied, you can follow up with the person in charge of granting permissions to understand the reason for the denial. You may also be able to provide additional information or reasoning to support your request and potentially have it reconsidered.

5. Are there any alternative ways to view tables and diagrams in MSSQL2014 without requesting permission?

If you do not have the necessary permissions to view tables and diagrams, you may still be able to access the information through a report or dashboard provided by your organization. Alternatively, you can work with your team or colleagues who do have the necessary permissions to gather the information you need.