How to Find This without Calculator?

• Thread starter basty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, there are several methods for finding ##2^{1.2}## without using a calculator. One method is to use Taylor expansion, which gives a good approximation by plugging in a value for ##x##. Another method is to use logarithms and a logarithm table. Alternatively, one can use a slide rule or Newton's method, which involves iterations and converges quickly. Another approach is to break down the exponent into smaller values, such as ##2^{0.2}##, and use approximations. Overall, these methods provide accurate approximations for ##2^{1.2}## without the use of a calculator.
basty
How do I find ##2^{1.2}## without using calculator?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since it's equal to ##2\sqrt[5]{2}## and ##\sqrt[5]{2}## is irrational you won't be able to.

You can use Taylor expansion in ##1## for a good approximation...

## 2^{x} \approx 2+2\ln{2}(x-1)+(\ln{2})^{2}(x-1)^{2}+\cdots ##

putting ##x=\frac{12}{10}##...

Or: if [itex]y= 2^{1.2}[/itex] then [itex]log(y)= 1.2 log(2)[/itex] and you can look up the logarithms in a logarithm table.

Or use a slide rule!

Newton's method is a great way to find ##\sqrt[5]{2}##.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_method
This converges very quickly, using 1 as my first guess, the 3rd iteration gave a fractional error of ##3\times 10^{-5}##, the 4th gave fractional error of ##1\times 10^{-9}##.

EDIT: brain freeze! This is not so calculator friendly after all - you need to compute 4th powers of decimals to make this work. You would want a calculator for this. Ooops!

jason

This was nagging me on my drive home - so here is a hand calculation using Newtons method for ##
\sqrt[5]{2}##
. If ## s_n## is the ## n^{th}## estimate of the root, then I get the following for the ##p^{th}## root of ##x##:
[tex]
s_{n+1} = \frac{1}{p}\left[(p-1) s_n + \frac{x}{s_n^{p-1}} \right]
[/tex]
For us p=5, x=2, so,
[tex]
s_{n+1} = \frac{1}{5}\left[4 s_n + \frac{2}{s_n^{4}} \right]
[/tex]

if I use ## s_0 = 1##, then ##s_1 = 1.2##. For ##s_2## I get
[tex]
s_{2} = \frac{1}{5}\left[ 4.8 + \frac{2}{2.0736} \right] = \frac{1}{5}\left[ 4.8 + \frac{1}{1.0368} \right] \approx \frac{1}{5}\left[ 4.8 + 1 - 0.0368 \right]
= \frac{5.7632}{5} \approx 1.15
[/tex]

So I get ##2^{1.2} \approx 2.30 ##. Better than 1% accuracy in this case...

jason

I would use this approach:

21.2 = 2*20.2

##2^{0.2} = e^{0.2 \ln 2} \approx e^{0.2 \cdot 0.7} = e^{0.14} \approx 1+0.14##
2*1.14 = 2.28, better than 1% accuracy and the above calculation works without pen and paper if you know ln(2) ≈ 0.7.

Better: ln(2)=0.693 or 1% smaller than 0.7, and we can add the second order for the exponential (using 0.14 ≈ 1/7) => 20.2≈1+0.14-0.0014 + 1/2*1/72 = 1.1486 because 1/72 is about 1/50 and 1/2*1/50=0.01.
2*1.1486 = 2.2972 - an error of just 0.01%.

Likes aikismos and jasonRF

Related to How to Find This without Calculator?

1. How can I find this without using a calculator?

There are several methods for finding a value without a calculator, such as using mental math strategies, estimation, and using basic arithmetic operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Additionally, some values may have specific patterns or rules that can help you find them without a calculator.

2. Can I use a formula to find this without a calculator?

Yes, if you know the formula for the value you are trying to find, you can use it to calculate the value without a calculator. However, you will still need to use basic arithmetic operations and may need to simplify the formula to make it easier to solve mentally.

3. How can I estimate a value without using a calculator?

Estimation involves making an educated guess or approximation of a value. This can be done by rounding numbers, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, or using reference values or benchmarks to compare to the value you are trying to find.

4. What are some tips for finding this without a calculator?

Some tips for finding a value without a calculator include practicing mental math and number sense, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using patterns or rules, and using estimation and rounding strategies. Additionally, having a solid understanding of basic arithmetic operations and their properties can be helpful.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to find this without a calculator?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding a value without a calculator include rushing through the problem, not checking your work, using incorrect arithmetic operations, and not understanding the problem or the concepts involved. It is important to take your time, double-check your work, and make sure you understand the problem and how to solve it before attempting to find the value without a calculator.