How should I interpret a formula without brackets?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Samwise-zambeezi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses a formula that does not have brackets and the correct interpretation of it. The participants suggest using the "PEMDAS" rule to determine the correct order of operations, and ultimately agree that the formula should be written as '(1.2 . h) - (0.2 . x)'. They also mention the importance of being clear and unambiguous when using symbols for multiplication.
Samwise-zambeezi
Hi all,

I have a formula which i might have expected to have brackets, but it hasn't, so i need to correctly interpret it.

Could anyone please offer any pointers as to how it should read?

The formula is '1.2 . h - 0.2 . x'

Can i assume that it should be '(1.2 . h) - (0.2 . x)'?

Thanks

Zamb

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You don't really need to "assume" that. Remember "PEMDAS" ("Please Excuse my dear aunt Sally")- Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtration. Multiplication and division have precedence over addition and subtraction.

Samwise-zambeezi said:
Hi all,

I have a formula which i might have expected to have brackets, but it hasn't, so i need to correctly interpret it.

Could anyone please offer any pointers as to how it should read?

The formula is '1.2 . h - 0.2 . x'

Can i assume that it should be '(1.2 . h) - (0.2 . x)'?

Thanks

Zamb
To be a bit more direct,.. Yes, that would be correct. However I still don't like it because it really reads 1*2*h - 0*2*x. Never use "." for multiplication unless you have defined it unambiguously!

-Dan

Hi both,

thanks a lot for your feedback, much appreciated,

Zambeezi

Related to How should I interpret a formula without brackets?

1. What are algebra brackets?

Algebra brackets are symbols used to group terms in an algebraic expression. They are typically represented by parentheses (), brackets [], or braces {}.

2. How do I simplify algebra brackets?

To simplify algebra brackets, you can use the distributive property to expand the expression inside the brackets. Then, combine like terms and simplify the resulting expression.

3. What is the difference between square brackets and parentheses in algebra?

Square brackets are typically used to indicate the absolute value of a number or to group terms in an expression. Parentheses are used for grouping and also to indicate multiplication. In some cases, square brackets can also be used in place of parentheses.

4. Can I remove brackets in algebra?

Yes, you can remove brackets in algebra by using the distributive property to expand the expression inside the brackets. However, be careful not to make any mistakes when combining like terms or simplifying the resulting expression.

5. How do I solve equations with brackets?

To solve equations with brackets, you can use the distributive property to expand the expression inside the brackets. Then, combine like terms and isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Finally, solve for the variable by using inverse operations.