How to find the phase shift and amplitude ratio

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining the amplitude ratio and phase shift of a specific graph. The person is seeking further instruction and clarification on how to do this, and links to resources are provided. It is suggested to take the Fourier transforms of the input and output and compute the cross-spectrum.
vtaela
i am looking for the amplitude ratio and phase shift of this graph? could someone explain me how to obtain these results from this type of graph?
0.40Hz.gif

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
See the first diagram here regarding phase:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_(waves )

There is no universal 'amplitide ratio'...you have to explain what you seek...
Some alternatives are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_amplitude

Last edited by a moderator:
i have already seen these but still i have no clue for the specific graph. i have more complicated graphs but not as complicate as this one.. i can't the results for this one..

if anyone has further instruction please post here. thank you

Take the Fourier transforms of the input and output and compute the cross-spectrum?

for your question. To find the phase shift and amplitude ratio from a graph, you will need to first understand the properties of the graph and the function it represents. The phase shift refers to the horizontal displacement of the function from its original position, while the amplitude ratio is the vertical scaling factor of the function.

To determine the phase shift, you will need to identify the period of the function. The period is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the function. Once you have identified the period, you can divide it by 4 to find the phase shift. For example, if the period is 4 units, the phase shift would be 1 unit.

To find the amplitude ratio, you will need to identify the maximum and minimum values of the function. The amplitude is half the distance between these two values. The amplitude ratio is then calculated by dividing the amplitude by the original amplitude of the function. For example, if the original amplitude of the function is 10 units and the calculated amplitude is 5 units, the amplitude ratio would be 0.5.

It is important to note that the method for finding the phase shift and amplitude ratio may vary depending on the type of function and the specific graph being analyzed. It is recommended to consult a mathematics or physics textbook for more detailed instructions on finding these values for specific types of functions.

I hope this explanation helps you in obtaining the desired results from your graph. Happy analyzing!

Related to How to find the phase shift and amplitude ratio

1. What is the phase shift in a wave and how do you find it?

The phase shift in a wave refers to the horizontal displacement of the wave from its original position. It can be measured in degrees or radians and is typically denoted by the symbol phi (φ). To find the phase shift, you need to compare the starting point of the wave with the current point of the wave, and the difference between the two represents the phase shift.

2. How do you calculate the amplitude ratio of a wave?

The amplitude ratio of a wave is the ratio of the amplitude of the output wave to the amplitude of the input wave. To calculate this ratio, you need to measure the amplitude of both waves and then divide the amplitude of the output wave by the amplitude of the input wave. The resulting value will be the amplitude ratio.

3. What is the relationship between phase shift and amplitude ratio?

The phase shift and amplitude ratio are both measures of how a wave changes over time. They are not directly related to each other, but they can both be used to describe the characteristics of a wave. In general, an increase in the phase shift will result in a decrease in the amplitude ratio, and vice versa.

4. How do you find the phase shift and amplitude ratio of a sound wave?

To find the phase shift and amplitude ratio of a sound wave, you need to first record the sound and visualize it on a graph. The phase shift can be determined by comparing the starting point of the wave with the current point of the wave. The amplitude ratio can be calculated by measuring the amplitude of the sound wave at different points and then dividing the amplitude of the output wave by the amplitude of the input wave.

5. What are some common methods for finding the phase shift and amplitude ratio of a wave?

Some common methods for finding the phase shift and amplitude ratio of a wave include using a graph to visually compare the starting point and current point of the wave, using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to calculate the phase shift, and using measuring tools to determine the amplitude of the wave at different points. Computer software programs can also be used to analyze and calculate these values accurately.