How to find the minimum horizontal force?

In summary: So the normal reaction force must equal the weight + the downward force.In summary, the minimum horizontal force F needed to make the box start moving is 108 N, calculated by multiplying the coefficient of static friction (0.39) by the sum of the weight of the block (245 N) and the additional downward force (31 N). The normal force must equal the sum of the weight and the downward force in order to maintain equilibrium and prevent the block from sinking into the ground.
Angela_vaal

Homework Statement

What is the minimum horizontal force F needed to make the box start moving in (Figure 1) ? The coefficients of kinetic and static friction between the box and the floor are 0.28 and 0.39, respectively.
fig_6-31.png

Homework Equations

fk=mu N
fs=mu N

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure that the N pointing downward is the normal force or not because I though normal force = 25kg* 9.81m/s2=245?

so would the minimum force be Fs= mu N... (.39)(245)=96?
i just don't know what the 31 N signifies since it is pointing downward? help please
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like you have a block of mass 25 kg (which, of course, has weight) and an additional force of 31 Newtons acting downward on the block.

The equation you wrote for the normal force would be correct for a block of 25 kg sitting on a flat surface with no other forces acting on it.

okay, how would I incorporate that extra force of 31 N?

would I multiply the 31 N by the static friction? 31 N *36 N?

I would say to draw a free body diagram with all of the forces - weight of block, 31 N force downward and the normal force N upward. Since there is no acceleration in the y direction (or the x direction for that matter) the block is in equilibrium so the forces should sum (rather, have to sum) to equal 0.

When the block is just about ready to slide, as you know, friction force Ff = μsN. So you have to find the normal force N.

Fs= .39 * (-31N) + 245(weight) ?

am I correct?

So to start with let's consider a stationary block of 25kg sitting on the floor, it's not moving, it's not sinking into the ground so the weight of the block must be balanced by the normal reaction force: W = 245N = Normal Reaction Force (Nf)
Now we have an extra force of 31N pushing down on the block, yet the block is still not sinking/merging into the ground, therefore the normal reaction force must again be accounting for this extra force: Nf = weight + extra downward force = 245 + 31 = 276N
As discussed above when the vlock is about to slide: Ff = μsNf
Sub you values in, what do you get?

Forget about the friction force for now. Before you can find the friction force, you have to find the normal force. Once you find the normal force, then you can calculate the friction force. To find the normal force, you have to sum all of the vertical components of force.

Let's say I have a crate sitting on a scale and the scale reads 100 pounds. Now let's say I throw 5 more 10-pound boxes on top of that crate. What is the normal force acting on the crate? I will give you a hint: The scale knows the answer. That is the same situation you have in your problem. You have a block that has weight and you are adding more weight on top of it.

Likes Garth Vader
Ff=(.39)* 276= 108 N
why are we adding the downward force and not subtracting it?

TomHart said:
Forget about the friction force for now. Before you can find the friction force, you have to find the normal force. Once you find the normal force, then you can calculate the friction force. To find the normal force, you have to sum all of the vertical components of force.

Let's say I have a crate sitting on a scale and the scale reads 100 pounds. Now let's say I throw 5 more 10-pound boxes on top of that crate. What is the normal force acting on the crate? I will give you a hint: The scale knows the answer. That is the same situation you have in your problem. You have a block that has weight and you are adding more weight on top of it.
makes sense! thankyou

Likes TomHart
The downward force is pushing the block into the ground. But the block isn't sinking into the ground, it isn't moving. Hence there is no unbalanced force. If there is no unbalanced force there must be a force (in this case the normal reaction force) counter-acting it.

Likes Angela_vaal

Related to How to find the minimum horizontal force?

1. What is the definition of minimum horizontal force?

The minimum horizontal force is the smallest amount of force required to move an object horizontally without causing it to accelerate or decelerate. This is also known as the threshold force or the threshold of motion.

2. How do you calculate the minimum horizontal force?

The minimum horizontal force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the minimum horizontal force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force exerted on the object. The coefficient of friction and normal force can be determined through experiments or by using known values for the materials involved.

3. What factors affect the minimum horizontal force?

The minimum horizontal force is affected by several factors, including the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is resting on, the weight and mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How can the minimum horizontal force be reduced?

The minimum horizontal force can be reduced by decreasing the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface, increasing the weight of the object, or by applying an external force in the opposite direction. Additionally, using lubricants or changing the surface material can also help reduce the minimum horizontal force.

5. What are some practical applications of knowing the minimum horizontal force?

Knowing the minimum horizontal force is important in designing and engineering structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure they can withstand the forces acting upon them. It is also useful in determining the amount of force needed to move objects on different surfaces, such as in manufacturing and transportation industries.