Finding horizontal force using mass and static friction?

In summary, to find the horizontal force necessary to move a garbage can with a mass of 30 kg and a coefficient of static friction of 0.75, multiply the mass (30 kg) by gravity (9.8 m/s/s) and the coefficient of friction (0.75). The resulting force needed to move the can is 220.5 N.
Infinite324

Homework Statement

There is a box that has a mass of 30 kg. The coefficient of the static friction is 0.75. Find the horizontal force.

Homework Equations

Fs=muFn
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Fs=(.75)(.98)(.30)=.2205 N

That is probably way off... I am very confused right now. Could someone please explain the steps to solving it?

Physics news on Phys.org
This can't possibly be the exact problem statement. Please provide the exact problem statement (word for word).

Chet

The mass of the garbage can is 30 kg. The coefficient of the static friction between the can and the ground is .75.
What is the horizontal force necessary to get the can moving?

Infinite324 said:
The mass of the garbage can is 30 kg. The coefficient of the static friction between the can and the ground is .75.
What is the horizontal force necessary to get the can moving?
Much better. Now in your post #1, what does the 0.98 represent, and what does the 0.30 represent (including their units)?

Chet

.98 m/s/s represents gravity and sorry I typed it wrong. It should be 30 N

30 kg not 30 N

Infinite324 said:
.98 m/s/s represents gravity and sorry I typed it wrong. It should be 30 N
It should be 9.8 m/s/s. How did the 30 kg become 0.30?

Chet

Wow yes 9.8 for Gravity. How should I continue then?

Infinite324 said:
Wow yes 9.8 for Gravity. How should I continue then?
According to your understanding, you tell me. You almost had it right to start with.

Chet

Likes Bystander
Should I multiply (9.8)(30)(.75)?

Infinite324 said:
Should I multiply (9.8)(30)(.75)?
If you're not sure about this, you need to go back and review your text and/or notes. The objective of studying a course is so that you can understand the fundamentals (and use this to solve a wide array of problems), rather than just to solve one specific problem.

Chet

Related to Finding horizontal force using mass and static friction?

1. How do you calculate horizontal force using mass and static friction?

To calculate horizontal force, you need to use the formula F = μs * m * g, where F is the horizontal force, μs is the coefficient of static friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other. It is a dimensionless number that is specific to the two surfaces in contact.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the horizontal force?

The mass of an object directly affects the horizontal force required to move it, as seen in the formula F = μs * m * g. The greater the mass, the greater the horizontal force needed to overcome static friction and move the object.

4. Can the coefficient of static friction change?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction can change depending on the surfaces in contact and the conditions under which they are in contact. For example, it may change if the surfaces are wet or if there is debris present.

5. What is the difference between static friction and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that must be overcome to start an object in motion, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.