How to Find the Change of Basis Matrix for Bases B and C?

In summary: I have edited the title for you.In summary, the conversation is about finding the change of basis matrices P_{B \leftarrow C} and P_{C\leftarrow B} for given bases B and C in R^2. The steps for finding the change of basis matrix from C to B are followed, where the coordinates of the B vectors relative to C are solved for. However, the resulting matrix is found to be the change of basis matrix for going from C to B, rather than the desired P_{B \leftarrow C}. This is due to confusion between the matrix that changes the basis and the one that changes the components, as explained in the conversation. A helpful tip for formatting matrices in LaTeX is also provided
chipotleaway
Edit complete, but it doesn't seem as though I can change the title.
The latex arrows next to the 'P' aren't showing up for me but they're supposed to be left arrows

Homework Statement

Let B and C be bases of R^2. Find the change of basis matrices [itex]P_{B \leftarrow C}[/itex] and [itex]P_{C\leftarrow B}[/itex]

[itex]B={\begin{pmatrix}3\\1\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}2\\2\end{pmatrix}}, C={\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}5\\4\end{pmatrix}}[/itex]

To find the change of basis matrix from C to B [itex]P_{B \leftarrow C}[/itex] , I followed the steps in Lay's Linear Algebra book and found the coordinates of the B vectors relative to C.

So I solved this system:

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}3\\1\end{pmatrix}=r_1\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}+r_2\begin{pmatrix}5\\4\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
[itex]\begin{pmatrix}2\\2\end{pmatrix}=s_1\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}+s_2\begin{pmatrix}5\\4\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

where r, s are real numbers.

Doing so, I got the 2x2 matrix

[7/4 -2/4]
[1/4 2/4]

(can't get matrices to work in latex)

But in the solutions, this is the change of basis matrix for going from C to B, i.e. [itex]P_{C\leftarrow B}[/itex]. Have I misinterpreted something? The steps I'm referring to are based on this theorem on page 273 of the 3rd edition of the text by Lay:

Let [itex]B=[b_1,..,b_n][/itex] and [itex]C=[c_1,..,c_n][/itex] be bases of a vector space V. Then there is a unique nxn matrix [itex]P_{B \leftarrow C}[/itex] such that [itex][x]_c=P_{B \leftarrow C}[x]_B[/itex]. The columns of [itex]P_{B \leftarrow C}[/itex] are the C-coordinate vectors of the vectors in the basis B. That is, [itex]P_{B \leftarrow C}=[[b_1]_c...[b_n]_c][/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chipotleaway said:
The latex arrows next to the 'P' aren't showing up for me but they're supposed to be left arrows

Homework Statement

Let B and C be bases of R^2. Find the change of basis matrices [itex]P_{B \leftarrow C}[/itex] and [itex]P_{C\leftarrow B}[/itex]

[itex]B={\begin{pmatrix}3\\1\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}2\\2\end{pmatrix}}, C={\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}5\\4\end{pmatrix}}[/itex]

To find the change of basis matrix from C to B [itex]P_{B \leftarrow C}[/itex] , I followed the steps in Lay's Linear Algebra book and found the coordinates of the B vectors relative to C.

So I solved this system:

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}3\\1\end{pmatrix}=r_1\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}+r_2\begin{pmatrix}5\\4\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
[itex]\begin{pmatrix}2\\2\end{pmatrix}=s_1\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}+s_2\begin{pmatrix}5\\4\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

where r, s are real numbers.

Doing so, I got the 2x2 matrix

[7/4 -2/4]
[1/4 2/4]

(can't get matrices to work in latex)

But in the solutions, this is the change of basis matrix for going from C to B, i.e. [itex]P_{C\leftarrow B}[/itex]. Have I misinterpreted something? The steps I'm referring to are based on this theorem on page 273 of the 3rd edition of the text by Lay:

If you want a matrix like this:
[tex] \pmatrix{7/4 & -2/4 \\ 1/4 & 2/4}[/tex]
use the "\ p matrix" command (remove spaces!) To get the above I just entered "\ p matrix{ 7/4 & -2/4 \\ 1/4 & 2/4}". In LaTeX/TeX, the '&' separates elements in the same row and the "\\" starts a new row.

Anyway, you are encountering the classic confusion between the matrix that changes the basis vs. the matrix that changes the ccomponents. So, if {u1, u2} and {v1,v2} are two bases (each ui or vi is a two-dimensional vector), then if
[tex] \pmatrix{u_1\\u_2} = \pmatrix{a&b\\c&d} \pmatrix{v_1\\v_2} [/tex]
and if ##x = x_1 u_1 + x_2 u_2 = y_1 v_1 + y_2 v_2## we have
[tex] (y_1 \;y_2) = (x_1 \; x_2) \pmatrix{a &b\\c &d}[/tex]

Likes 1 person
chipotleaway said:
I can!

I'm a bit too busy right now to be able to help you with learning to solve this problem, but I'm not too busy to help with changing the title.

Likes 1 person

Related to How to Find the Change of Basis Matrix for Bases B and C?

What is a change of basis problem?

A change of basis problem is a mathematical concept that involves transforming a vector from one basis set to another. This is typically done by finding the coefficients that represent the vector in the new basis.

Why is change of basis important?

Change of basis is important in many areas of science, such as physics and computer science. It allows for the representation of complex systems in simpler terms, making calculations and analysis easier.

How is change of basis related to linear transformations?

Change of basis is closely related to linear transformations, as it involves transforming a vector from one basis set to another using a linear transformation matrix. The transformation matrix is used to find the coefficients of the vector in the new basis.

What is the difference between a change of basis and a change of coordinates?

A change of basis involves transforming a vector from one basis set to another, while a change of coordinates involves transforming the coordinates of a vector within a fixed basis. In other words, a change of basis changes the underlying structure of the vector, while a change of coordinates only changes its representation.

How is change of basis used in real-world applications?

Change of basis is used in many real-world applications, such as image processing, signal processing, and data analysis. It is also used in quantum mechanics to represent physical systems in different bases, allowing for easier calculations and analysis.