How to find the basis for a set of vectors

In summary, the question asks whether a subset of four vectors in R^4 form a linearly independent set and to find a basis and dimension for the vector subspace spanned by the same set of vectors. The first part is solved by converting the system of equations into matrix form and determining that the vectors are not linearly independent. For the second part, the three remaining vectors are found to be a good choice for a basis, as they span the subspace and are linearly independent. The dimension of the subspace is therefore 3.
HappyN

Homework Statement

The question states:
Consider the subset S of R^4 given by:
S={(2,3,-1,7), (1,0,1,3), (0,3,-3,1), (12,15,-3,29)}
i) Decide whether the vectors in S form a linearly independent set.
ii) Let V be the vector subspace of R^4 spanned by the vectors of S, i.e:
V=span{ (2,3,-1,7), (1,0,1,3), (o,3,-3,1), (12,15,-3,29)}
Find a basis for V and write down the dimension of V.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part of the question, I solved:
2a + b + 12d=0
3a+ 3c+15d=0
-a+b-3c-3d=0
7a+3b+c+29d=0
as a system of linear equations, I solved this by putting it in matrix form and got:
d=0, a= -1/2(b) = -c
and hence I concluded that the vectors do not form a linearly independent set.
For part ii) I first sifted the set of 4 vectors and got the following 3 vectors remaining: {(2,3,-1,7), (1,0,1,3), (0,3-3,1)}, I then tired to solve these vectors with respect to the natural basis (1,0,0,0), (0,1,0,0), (0,0,1,0) and (0,0,0,1) but ended up getting a contradiction in my answers - please tell me if I have been going along the right lines and whether my part i) is correct - any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you try to solve the three vectors with respect to the natural basis? To form a basis you just need some vectors that span the subspace and are linearly independent. Aren't those three you got a good choice?

Related to How to find the basis for a set of vectors

1. What is the definition of a basis for a set of vectors?

A basis for a set of vectors is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be combined to represent any vector in the vector space. This means that no vector in the basis can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

2. How do I know if a set of vectors is a basis?

To determine if a set of vectors is a basis, you can check for linear independence by setting up a matrix and performing row reduction. If the matrix has full rank, meaning there are no rows of zeros, then the set of vectors is linearly independent and can be a basis.

3. Can a set of vectors have more than one basis?

Yes, a set of vectors can have multiple bases. This is because there can be many different combinations of linearly independent vectors that can span the same vector space.

4. How can I find the basis for a set of vectors?

To find the basis for a set of vectors, you can use a method called Gaussian elimination. This involves setting up a matrix with the vectors as columns, performing row reduction, and then selecting the linearly independent vectors as the basis.

5. Is the basis for a set of vectors unique?

No, the basis for a set of vectors is not unique. As mentioned before, there can be multiple combinations of linearly independent vectors that can span the same vector space, resulting in different bases.