How to find the antiderivative of 4/(1+2x)^2?

• Thread starter haiku11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, when finding the antiderivative of 4/(1+2x)², you can use the substitution method or the chain rule. Make sure to include the dx at the end of each line and solve for the integration constant using the given initial conditions.
haiku11

Homework Statement

I have to find the antiderivative of 4/(1+2x)²
New question: Find s(t)

2. Given variables and equations
a(t) = 4/(1+2x)²
v(0) = 0
s(0) = 5

The Attempt at a Solution

∫4(1+2x)-2
= 4∫(1+2x)-2
= 4[(1+2x)-1/-1]
= -4/(1+2x)

But the correct answer has a -2 numerator.

New attempt: The integral of the first equation would be v(t) and it says v(0) is 0, but the equation says that it will be -2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are treating 1+ 2x as if it were a single variable- you can't do that. Use a "substitution" u= 1+ 2x. Then du= 2dx.

You forgot to use the substitution u=2x, therefore du=2dx, and this will get you your -2 that you require.

welcome to pf!

hi haiku11! welcome to pf! :smile:

another method is to use the chain rule …

d/dx = d/d(2x) times d(2x)/dx :wink:

Oh ok that makes a lot more sense.

Thanks so much for your help.

Edit: I didn't see the rest of the question and now I'm even more confused. I edited the original post to show the entire question.

Last edited:
Please Help!

I assume you have found the integral of your original function. Remember the ∫a(t) = v(t) + C. since you are given v(0)=0, you are supposed to solve for C. So now what you have to integrate v(t) because ∫v(t) = s(t) + Ct + D. You are given s(0)=0 so that will help you find D. Good luck :)

lets see …
haiku11 said:
∫4(1+2x)-2
= 4∫(1+2x)-2
= 4[(1+2x)-1/-1]
= -4/(1+2x)

But the correct answer has a -2 numerator.

first, you must write the dx at the end of each line …

∫ 4(1+2x)-2 dx

= 4 ∫ (1+2x)-2 dx

= 4 ∫ (1+2x)-2 dx/d(2x) d(2x)

(you could put 2x = u here if you wanted)

= 4 ∫ (1+2x)-2 1/2 d(2x)

= 2 [(1+2x)-1/-1] + constant

= -2/(1+2x) + constant :wink:

Related to How to find the antiderivative of 4/(1+2x)^2?

What is the formula for integrating 4/(1+2x)^2?

The formula for integrating 4/(1+2x)^2 is ∫4/(1+2x)^2 dx = -2/(1+2x) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

What is the process for integrating 4/(1+2x)^2?

The process for integrating 4/(1+2x)^2 involves using the substitution method. Let u = 1+2x, then du/dx = 2 and dx = du/2. Substitute these values into the original equation to get ∫4/((u)^2) (du/2) = 2∫1/u^2 du = -2/u + C = -2/(1+2x) + C.

How do I solve for the constant of integration when integrating 4/(1+2x)^2?

The constant of integration, C, can be solved by plugging in a known value for x and y into the integrated equation and solving for C. For example, if the original equation is y = 4/(1+2x)^2 and (x,y) = (1,2), then 2 = -2/(1+2(1)) + C, and solving for C would give C = 4.

What are some common mistakes when integrating 4/(1+2x)^2?

Some common mistakes when integrating 4/(1+2x)^2 include forgetting to use the substitution method, not distributing the 2 in the denominator, or forgetting to include the constant of integration. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check the final answer to avoid these mistakes.

How can I check my answer when integrating 4/(1+2x)^2?

You can check your answer by differentiating the integrated equation and seeing if it gives you the original equation. In this case, if you differentiate -2/(1+2x) + C, you should get 4/(1+2x)^2, which would confirm that your integration was correct.