How to find drag polar equation of Cl vs Cd graph

In summary, the data does not fit a linear model, but does fit a model that has a slope of .184 and a y-intercept of 0.4.
MattH150197

Homework Statement

I plotted the drag polar graph (Drag coefficient vs. lift coefficient) for an aircraft and are required to find the equation of the drag polar to determine values for [C][/D0] and k, using the graph or any other method. I've plotted the graph which I've included.

Homework Equations

CD=CDO+K*CL^2 [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that CD0 is the point at which the graph intersects the x-axis but what is k is it the gradient of the linear part of the graph? And what is the other method of analysing it, just out of curiosity. Thanks

Attachments

• drag co. v lift co..png
    drag co. v lift co..png
    7.8 KB · Views: 4,633
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no good fit of the data to an equation of the form Cd = Cd0 + k(Cl2).
There is a better fit of the data to a curve of the form Cl = Cl0 + k(Cd-0.4)2.
Approximately Cl = 0.184 + 0.4×(Cd-0.4)2

I wonder if you are being asked to determine the tangent line from (0,0) to the curve. That gives the greatest lift-to-drag ratio. That would be the line from (0,0) to about (0.275, 0.82).

EDIT: The OP noticed that the chart had the lift and drag axis switched. So all the lift and drag coefficients in this should have been switched.

Last edited:
What about if like you said I draw a tangent line and then simply allied y=mx + c so y = Cd m = k, x = Cl^2, c = Cdo do you think that would be correct?

MattH150197 said:
What about if like you said I draw a tangent line and then simply allied y=mx + c so y = Cd m = k, x = Cl^2, c = Cdo do you think that would be correct?
Not exactly. Instead of Cl2, it must be (Cl - Cl0)2, where Cl0 is the minimal lift value. See the equation in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_polar

Likes MattH150197
Just eyeballing the original data, I don't see why the regression didn't give (approximately) Cd0 = .25, Cl0 = 0.4 and k = 0.3. I wonder if I did the regression correctly. Or maybe it is sensitive to the original choice of Cl0 = 0.4 (which was eyeballed). Maybe Cl0 = 0.45 would have fit the upper Cl values better. The lower Cl values do not fit the model well. They are too low.

Related to How to find drag polar equation of Cl vs Cd graph

1. What is a drag polar equation?

A drag polar equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the coefficient of lift (Cl) and the coefficient of drag (Cd) for a given object or airfoil. It is used to analyze the aerodynamic performance of an object and is often plotted as a graph with Cl on the x-axis and Cd on the y-axis.

2. How do I obtain a drag polar equation from a Cl vs Cd graph?

To obtain a drag polar equation, you need to plot the Cl vs Cd data as points on a graph and then use regression analysis to fit a line or curve to the data. This line or curve represents the drag polar equation, and its equation can be derived using mathematical methods such as linear regression or curve fitting.

3. What factors can affect the shape of a drag polar equation?

The shape of a drag polar equation can be affected by various factors, including the shape and size of the object, the angle of attack, the airfoil design, and the air density. These factors can cause variations in the Cl and Cd values, resulting in changes in the overall shape of the drag polar equation.

4. How can I use a drag polar equation in aerodynamic analysis?

A drag polar equation is a crucial tool in aerodynamic analysis as it allows for the prediction of an object's aerodynamic performance at various angles of attack. Engineers and scientists can use the equation to determine the lift and drag forces acting on an object and optimize its design for specific applications, such as aircraft or automobiles.

5. Are there any limitations to using a drag polar equation?

While a drag polar equation is a useful tool, it is important to note that it is based on theoretical calculations and may not always accurately reflect real-world conditions. Factors such as turbulence, Reynolds number, and surface roughness can affect the aerodynamic performance of an object and may not be fully accounted for in the equation. Therefore, it should be used as a guide and not as the sole determinant of an object's aerodynamic behavior.