What are the equations of these free fall/drag graphs?

• Thread starter Dowon Kim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary: So, I guess it can explain my data.In summary, the conversation discussed two graphs attached to a homework problem. The first graph showed the velocity of a basketball with respect to time, taking into account air resistance. The second graph showed the deceleration, or acceleration, from air resistance. The equation used to plot these graphs was Fd = 0.5 * Cd * rho * A * v^2, where Fd is the drag force and the other variables are constants. The plateau in the acceleration graph was attributed to the decreasing drag force as the basketball reached the top of its projectile. The conversation also clarified that the first graph was specifically for the vertical component of velocity.
Dowon Kim

Homework Statement

The screenshots of the graphs are attached. The first graph is a velocity graph of a basketball with respect to time, and it is assumed that it has been launched at an angle of 45 degrees and an initial velocity of 10 m/s. Due to air resistance, which I was able to include using Euler method, spreadsheet, and LoggerPro, the velocity asymptotically approaches -20m/s, which actually is the terminal velocity of a falling basketball.

However, I don't know what kind of equation is behind that graph.

The second graph is the deceleration from the air resistance, and I don't know what the equation for that one is either.
Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 12.27.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 1.22.06 AM.png

Homework Equations

Fd = 0.5 * Cd * rho * A * v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't even guess what those graphs consist of...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 12.27.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 12.27.06 AM.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 393
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 1.22.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 1.22.06 AM.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
Please be precise with the terms that you are using. Here are some things to think about. You say
Dowon Kim said:
The first graph is a velocity graph of a basketball with respect to time, ...
I assume you mean the "vertical component of the velocity with respect to time ..."
Dowon Kim said:
The second graph is the deceleration from the air resistance, ...
What exactly do you mean by this? I think you really mean "acceleration". How do you interpret the plateau in the graph that shows the acceleration to be roughly constant between about 0.5 s and 1.0 s?
Dowon Kim said:
However, I don't know what kind of equation is behind that graph.
You quoted an equation under "relevant equations". Can you solve it? After solving it, is there a way you can you determine whether it is relevant or not? In other words can it explain your data?

kuruman said:
Please be precise with the terms that you are using. Here are some things to think about. You say

"I assume you mean the "vertical component of the velocity with respect to time ...""
-Yeah, I do mean that. My bad.
"What exactly do you mean by this? I think you really mean "acceleration". How do you interpret the plateau in the graph that shows the acceleration to be roughly constant between about 0.5 s and 1.0 s?"
-Yes, it is acceleration, and I know that that constant region is due to the decreasing drag force when the basketball reaches the top of its projectile and therefore its velocity decreases.
"You quoted an equation under "relevant equations". Can you solve it? After solving it, is there a way you can you determine whether it is relevant or not? In other words can it explain your data?"
-It's the equation that I used to plot those graphs. Fd is the drag force, and all the variables other than v^2 are 0.0243, and v varies with time as two forces are acting on the basketball: gravity and air resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What are the equations of these free fall/drag graphs?

1. What is free fall and how is it related to these equations?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity alone, with no other external forces acting on it. These equations describe the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration in free fall.

2. How do these equations differ for different objects?

The equations for free fall and drag will vary depending on the mass, shape, and surface area of the object. These factors affect the amount of air resistance and thus the acceleration of the object.

3. Can these equations be used for objects falling in a vacuum?

Yes, these equations can be used for objects falling in a vacuum because gravity is still the only force acting on the object in this scenario.

4. What role does air resistance play in these equations?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is affected by an object's shape, speed, and surface area. These equations take air resistance into account and can be used to calculate the effect of drag on an object.

5. How can these equations be applied in real-world situations?

These equations can be used to predict the motion of objects in free fall, such as a skydiver or a falling object. They can also be used to understand the aerodynamics of objects and how air resistance affects their motion. These concepts are important in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports.