How to find common-mode voltage gain of a Differential Amp

In summary, the differential amplifier has a beta of 100, thermal voltage of 0.026 volts, and va of infinity. The common mode gain is zero and the CMRR is infinity.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

Beta=100,Thermal Voltage=0.026 Volts, Va=infinity, and Vbe=0.75 Volts for the differential amplifier. Please look at the upload for a clearer picture.

Homework Equations

Ad=betaRc/2(rpi+Rb)
Acm=-gmRc/(1+(2(1+beta)Ro/(rpi+Rb)))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have uploaded my attempt but I am wondering if Ro is really zero I mean Va is infinity so I would think so but this would cause Acm=0 and CMRR= infinity this seems incorrect what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 740
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,653
Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you did was correct.
The 'tail' in this diff amp is a pure current source (Ic3) and so not changed by a common mode input voltage.
Thus, the common mode gain, absent any transistor asymmetries of which none are specified, is indeed zero and the CMRR is infinity.

For Ad you seem to have two answers: "Ad = 73.169 = 28.846". What gives with that? Anyway, I got close to your the second number by approximating as
i = is exp(V/VT), ∂i/∂V = is (1/VT) exp(V/VT) = (1/VT) i = (1/.026)0.75e-3 = 34.7
so your number of 28.846 looks about right since my approx. will come in high.

Likes 1 person
Well darn the 28.846 is actually my Gm the 73.169 is my gain I need to check that

I myself goofed in computing g_m. It should have been 0.029 A/V.
That times the 8K resistor gives A_d = 232 but that ignores beta, r_pi and the 2K base resistor so the actual gain will be somewhat less.

Likes 1 person
Sweet thanks again man!

Hey I had one last question I had a friend bring up the point that the circuit is not ideal due to current biasing. So I resolved for R0 by running a kvl from 12 to Vec3 soI got 12-Ib(2)-0.7=Vec=IcRo and Ro=7.54 k ohms

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Hey I had one last question I had a friend bring up the point that the circuit is not ideal due to current biasing. So I resolved for R0 by running a kvl from 12 to Vec3 soI got 12-Ib(2)-0.7=Vec=IcRo and Ro=7.54 k ohms

I don't quite understand this. Ro is due to the Early voltage VA which is given to you as infinite, so Ro should also be infinite.

" the circuit is not ideal due to current biasing "?? Every transistor circuit is current biased, or maybe there is an interpretation here I don't know about. I realize the "tail" is a constant-current source = 1.5 mA.

Maybe you can elaborate on your equation.

Likes 1 person
Alright man appreciate it well that kind of sums it up Ro=infinite

OK viper. One last suggestion - watch your units, like mixing mA and Ohms etc. It's probably best if you change everything to ohms, amps and volts before computing numbers.

Related to How to find common-mode voltage gain of a Differential Amp

1. What is a differential amplifier?

A differential amplifier is a type of electronic amplifier that amplifies the difference between two input signals while rejecting any signals that are common to both inputs. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to amplify small signals and reject noise.

2. How does a differential amplifier work?

A differential amplifier consists of two amplifying stages connected in a differential configuration. The two input signals are fed into the two stages, and the outputs are then combined. This results in an amplified output signal that is proportional to the difference between the two input signals.

3. What is common-mode voltage gain?

Common-mode voltage gain is a measure of the amplifier's ability to reject common-mode signals. It is the ratio of the change in the output voltage to the change in the common-mode input voltage. A higher common-mode voltage gain indicates better rejection of common-mode signals.

4. How do I calculate the common-mode voltage gain of a differential amplifier?

The common-mode voltage gain of a differential amplifier can be calculated by dividing the common-mode output voltage by the common-mode input voltage. It is also equal to the difference between the positive and negative common-mode voltage gain of the individual amplifying stages.

5. Why is the common-mode voltage gain important?

The common-mode voltage gain is important because it determines the overall performance of the differential amplifier. A high common-mode voltage gain indicates good rejection of common-mode signals, which is essential for accurate amplification of small differential signals. It also helps reduce noise and interference in electronic circuits.