How to find capacitance in a circuit with a resistor and a charging capacitor?

In summary, a capacitor with a 720 ohm resistor in series is being charged and at 10 ms, its charge is half of the final value. The capacitance can be solved using the equation q(t) = Q_{max}(1-e^\frac{-t}{RC}), where t and R are known and the ratio of q(t) to Qmax can be used to solve for C. The possible values for capacitance are 9.6 uF, 14 uF, 20 uF, 7.2 uF, and 10F.
nautica
A capacitor, in a series with a 720 ohm resistor, is being charged. At the end of 10 ms its charge is half the final value. The capacitance is about:

a)9.6 uF
b)14 uF
c)20 uF
d)7.2 uF
e)10F

Now how in the heck and I suppose to know this one. I know ohms law and I know how to find capacitance. But what does either of these has to do with time?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rate at which a capacitor is charged in an RC circuit is:

[tex]q(t) = Q_{max}(1-e^\frac{-t}{RC}) [/tex]

You know t and R.
You don't know q(t) or Qmax but you do know the ratio of each to the other, and that's all you need to solve for C.

To find the capacitance in this scenario, we can use the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge on the capacitor, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage across the capacitor. In this case, we know that the charge on the capacitor at the end of 10 ms is half of the final value, so we can write the equation as 0.5Q = CV. We also know that the resistor in series with the capacitor has a resistance of 720 ohms, so we can use Ohm's Law to find the voltage across the capacitor. The voltage can be calculated as V = IR, where I is the current flowing through the circuit. Since the capacitor is being charged, the current gradually decreases to zero, and we can assume that the current at the end of 10 ms is half of the initial current. Therefore, we can write the equation as I/2 = V/720. Now we can substitute this into our previous equation to get 0.5Q = C(I/2)(720). Simplifying, we get C = 720Q/I. We can also express the current in terms of time as I = Q/t. Substituting this into our equation, we get C = 720Qt/I. Finally, we know that the charge on the capacitor is proportional to the capacitance and the voltage, so we can write Q = CV. Substituting this into our equation, we get C = (720Vt)/(V/720). Simplifying, we get C = (720Vt)/(1/720), which simplifies to C = 720^2t. Now we can plug in the values given in the problem to find the capacitance. Since the voltage across the capacitor is not given, we can assume it to be 1V for simplicity. Plugging in the values, we get C = (720^2)(10 ms) = 5.184 uF. Therefore, the closest option would be a) 9.6 uF.

Related to How to find capacitance in a circuit with a resistor and a charging capacitor?

1. What is capacitance and why is it important?

Capacitance is the ability of a component or material to store an electrical charge. It is important because it allows for the storage of electrical energy, which is essential for many electronic devices to function properly.

2. How do you calculate capacitance?

Capacitance can be calculated by dividing the charge stored on the component by the voltage applied to it. The formula is C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage.

3. What factors affect capacitance?

The capacitance of a component is affected by several factors, including the distance between the plates of a capacitor, the area of the plates, and the type of material used for the plates. The dielectric constant of the material between the plates also plays a role in determining capacitance.

4. How do you measure capacitance?

Capacitance can be measured using a capacitance meter or by using an oscilloscope and a known voltage source. The capacitance meter directly measures capacitance, while using an oscilloscope involves measuring the time it takes for a capacitor to charge and discharge.

5. What are some common applications of capacitance?

Capacitors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including power supplies, radios, and computer circuits. They are also used in sensors, filters, and timing circuits. Capacitance is also important in high voltage transmission lines, as it helps to reduce power loss.