How to find backlash between two spur gears

• Thread starter Shady99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gears
In summary, gears can produce a lot of noise, so it's important to design for it. You can calculate backlash by measuring axial separation and determining the coefficient of proportionality. If backlash increases beyond the specified value within the warranty period, there may be a warranty issue.
Shady99
hello i have two spur gears. i would like to know the backlash that i would be getting. How can i calculate backlash?

Engineering news on Phys.org
My guess; You'd need full engineering drawings, find the angular play the tolerance stack up on the meshing teeth will cause. You'll also need to know the axis to axis tolerance.

billy_joule said:
My guess; You'd need full engineering drawings, find the angular play the tolerance stack up on the meshing teeth will cause. You'll also need to know the axis to axis tolerance.
so i will need data from OEM

That or measure the gears you have.
Seeing as you have the gears, why not just do a test?

billy_joule said:
That or measure the gears you have.
Seeing as you have the gears, why not just do a test?
how can i measure the angular play?...gears are small like one is 80mm pitch diameter and the other is 247mm pitch of 1 module and 20 deg pressure angle

I'd lock the small gear, set a dial gauge on the large gear, near the OD and rock it back and fourth.
Why do you need to know anyway?

billy_joule said:
I'd lock the small gear, set a dial gauge on the large gear, near the OD and rock it back and fourth.
Why do you need to know anyway?
i am designing a turntable. i want to know the backlash so i can mention it in its design specs i.e. the system has this much backlash ,so that the end user knows it

An audio turn table?
Gears can/will produce a lot of noise. Any reason you're going with gears over the proven belt drive?

Ignore me if it's not audio related.

Likes billy_joule
You can design out backlash. One way is to have two large gears on the one shaft, one fixed to the shaft and one free to rotate. A spring is fitted to rotate one relative to the other. The spring is compressed slightly before both gears are meshed with the smaller gear on the other shaft.

Likes billy_joule
If the contact angle is 20°, then one tooth is really a 40° wedge.
Hold the gears against each other. Measure the axial separation, Sclose. Then mount the gears in the final environment and again measure the axial separation, Sfar. Compute dS = Sfar - Sclose.
The backlash is proportional to the difference in separation, dS.
The coefficient of proportionality is Tan( 40° ) = 0.839
Backlash = dS * Tan( 40° )

Backlash increases with gear wear so is there a warranty issue if it increases beyond the specified value within the warranty period?

Related to How to find backlash between two spur gears

What is backlash between two spur gears?

Backlash between two spur gears refers to the amount of play or clearance between the teeth of two meshing gears. It is an important factor to consider in gear design and can affect the overall performance and efficiency of a gear system.

Why is it important to find backlash between two spur gears?

Finding the backlash between two spur gears is important because it can affect the accuracy and smoothness of motion in a gear system. Too much backlash can result in jerky or imprecise movement, while too little backlash can cause excessive wear and damage to the gears.

How can I measure backlash between two spur gears?

There are several methods for measuring backlash between two spur gears, including using a dial indicator, a feeler gauge, or a backlash checking tool. These methods involve physically measuring the distance between the teeth of the gears at different points in their rotation.

What causes backlash between two spur gears?

Backlash between two spur gears can be caused by a number of factors, including manufacturing tolerances, wear and tear on the gears, and improper gear alignment. It can also be affected by the type of lubricant used and the temperature of the gear system.

How can I reduce backlash between two spur gears?

There are several ways to reduce backlash between two spur gears, such as using precision gears with tighter tolerances, properly aligning the gears, and using a high-quality lubricant. Regular maintenance and replacing worn gears can also help reduce backlash in a gear system.