How to Factorize a Complex Polynomial with Roots of the Form z = ix?

In summary, the polynomial f(z) = z^5 - 6z^4 + 15z^3 - 34z^2 + 36z - 48 has roots of the form z = ix where x is a real number. By factoring out (z-ix), the coefficients of the remaining terms can be determined and simplified to find the values of x for which f(z) = 0.
metgt4

Homework Statement

The polynomial f(z) is defined by

f(z) = z5 - 6z4 + 15z3 - 34z2 + 36z - 48

Show that the equation f(z) = 0 has roots of the form z = ix where x is real, and hence factorize f(z)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that you begin by factoring out (z-ix) from the function, but I'm not quite sure how to work that out. I can only figure out how to get the first and last terms in the first step:

f(z) = (z-ix)(z4 + ... - 48i/x)

How would you go about finding everything in between those two terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
The next term should be A*z^3, you have to find a.
Now, we want a value A such that: when we expand the brackets, we get -6 for the coefficient of z^4.
(z-ix)(z^4 + Az^3...)
when you expand to get the z^4 term, we have: -ix*z^4 + A*z^4=-6*z^4.
that means A=ix-6
agree?
now that you have A,
can you do this for the rest of the terms?
so what will you get?

Evaluate f(ix) and then simplify all powers of i.
Rewrite f(ix) as a complex number: g(x) + h(x)*i.
Set f(ix) = 0. This implies that g(x) = 0 and h(x) = 0.
Factor g(x) and h(x). This gives you a number of values of x for which f(ix) = 0.

Thanks to both of you! I evaluated f(ix) and that simplified things quite a bit!

Related to How to Factorize a Complex Polynomial with Roots of the Form z = ix?

What is factoring complex functions?

Factoring complex functions is the process of breaking down a complex function into simpler, more manageable parts. This is done by finding the common factors among the terms and simplifying the expression.

Why is factoring complex functions important?

Factoring complex functions is important because it allows us to solve more complicated equations and expressions. It also helps us to identify patterns and relationships between different terms in a function.

What are the common methods used to factor complex functions?

The most common methods used to factor complex functions are the distributive property, factoring by grouping, and difference of squares. These methods involve finding common factors and simplifying the expression.

What are some tips for factoring complex functions?

When factoring complex functions, it is important to look for common factors, simplify terms, and use algebraic techniques such as FOIL (First, Outer, Inner, Last) and the distributive property. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize oneself with different factoring methods.

Can all complex functions be factored?

No, not all complex functions can be factored. Some functions may not have any common factors or may require more advanced techniques to factor. In some cases, the function may be prime and cannot be factored any further.