How to enter the Physics path; after getting an unrelated degree.

In summary: I don't really know if they would have taken me even if I did have the ACT/SAT scores, because physics is not an easy major to get into... but I guess that's something to check into.In summary, the author is an experienced college graduate who is currently looking for a job in physics. He has a bachelor's degree in political science from a US school, and he is good at math. He is not sure if he would be able to get into a physics program if he did not have an undergraduate degree in physics already. He is in the first year of his two-year degree program and is not worried about it. He should contact the universities he wants to go to to
ofaaron
Let me just state my situation.

I got a bachelor's degree recently, and I've been looking for work. However, the past several years I've been back and forth on wanting to study physics.

If I did want to, I'm unsure how I would go about that. I guess I'm technically not an undergraduate anymore, but I've certainly taken no classes that have prepared me for physics. Also, my school had its own testing if you didn't have SAT or ACT scores, so I've never taken those. My GPA was not horrible during college, but nothing I would want to use to show off to look for a masters or doctorate program. I was not worrying about it, because GPA was entirely unimportant for the career my major was intended for.

I am good at math, though, and what I have taken of physics has never been over my head (although I'm sure it will get there as I study it.) I don't think I am lacking in the ability to be a physicist. I was just not planning on it at all.

What would be the best course of action for getting into a physics program of any kind at this point. I am in the U.S. and if it isn't obvious, I'm not entirely clear about the ins and outs of undergraduate/postgraduate college workings.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a problem with starting off getting an undergraduate degree in physics? From your description, it appears that you have to start from the ground up, but with the added advantage that you may not need as much beginning math.

Zz.

I would have absolutely no problem with beginning at the undergraduate level again. However, I've heard this can be difficult (but I think they might have just meant for loans, which would not be a problem for me). Also, I'm curious about getting into an undergraduate school. Would I need to take ACT/SATs... or does having a degree change things... I mean, certainly I'm not sure how relevant my high school GPA would be at this point for such a thing.

You should probably ask the schools if they need SAT scores. Other than that, what's the question?

Just if it is difficult or not to get into an undergraduate program when you already have a bachelor's degree, I suppose. And if there are any differences or hurdles I should be aware of.

I don't know what specifically to ask for, because that's what I'm unsure about. I've heard some contradicting things, and I was just hoping to clear them up.

I've done a bit more reading... and I guess this isn't as big of a deal as I was thinking. I had happened upon an article that made it sound like a whole ordeal, and it just kind of made me think twice, but I guess a lot of that was unfounded.

Thank you for the responses and the help.

What's your mathematical background? Highest courses you've taken in math?

ofaaron said:
Just if it is difficult or not to get into an undergraduate program when you already have a bachelor's degree, I suppose. And if there are any differences or hurdles I should be aware of.

I don't know what specifically to ask for, because that's what I'm unsure about. I've heard some contradicting things, and I was just hoping to clear them up.
Be sure to contact the universities you want to go to, because when I was looking at studying in the US, I was quickly turned away by (along with the high tuition fees) the fact that those unis I contacted wouldn't let me do a degree there, since I already had one from back home (such as you yourself). Granted, I only contacted a couple of big names, so I can't say if it's the same everywhere.

Depends on where you want to go as far as "how difficult it is" financially or administratively. It seems like a community college or a college more oriented towards second-degree earners, commuter students, or adult education might be a better fit (unless you're comfortable being older than a lot of your classmates).

I got my first degree in political science in 2009, almost went to law school, last minute changed my mind to go back and get a 2nd bachelors in physics. I'm now in the first of 2 years that it will take me to get my physics degree... so basically this "backtracked" my life 2 years... not THAT big of a deal. It wasn't really hard for me actually to get into college, just make sure with the school that they'll accept applications from people going for 2nd bachelors. I only applied to one school, a big state school with a mediocre-decent rep for physics, because as in-state the tuition is much less severe.

Did you have problems getting loans?

No I got loans fairly easily... but I got the "bad" unsubsidized loans. Meaning that the interest starts accruing immediately, not after you graduate, which sucks but got to do what are you got to do. In total though i'll be taking out around 7500 a year for these 2 years so not awful.

I'm going through this same thing right now.

Business degree in 05, and have been taking math/physics classes part time for the past couple years. This is my first full time semester and I didn't have any problems getting loans. (the bad interest accruing loans for me as well)

I've already talked to an adviser, and they didn't recommend a second bachelor's degree. They just want me to have certain classes under my belt before I apply.

(Sorry, I know this post is a tad stale, but I'm pretty excited about eventually getting into grad school. lol)

carboy79 said:
I got my first degree in political science in 2009, almost went to law school, last minute changed my mind to go back and get a 2nd bachelors in physics. I'm now in the first of 2 years that it will take me to get my physics degree... so basically this "backtracked" my life 2 years... not THAT big of a deal. It wasn't really hard for me actually to get into college, just make sure with the school that they'll accept applications from people going for 2nd bachelors. I only applied to one school, a big state school with a mediocre-decent rep for physics, because as in-state the tuition is much less severe.

My case is the same! My first degree was in Business, now I will be going to second degree in Math since I realized I love math!

Related to How to enter the Physics path; after getting an unrelated degree.

1. What steps should I take to enter the Physics path after completing an unrelated degree?

The first step is to research and understand the requirements for a physics degree. This will help you determine if you need to complete any prerequisite courses before applying. Next, you should reach out to admissions advisors at universities offering physics programs to discuss your options and any potential transfer credits. It may also be helpful to speak with current physics students or alumni to gain insight into the program and their experiences. Additionally, gaining research experience or taking relevant courses during your current degree can strengthen your application.

2. Is it possible to switch to a physics major after already starting a different degree?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a physics major after starting a different degree. However, it may require additional coursework and time to complete the physics degree. It is important to carefully plan out your course schedule and speak with academic advisors to ensure a smooth transition.

3. Can I pursue a physics career with an unrelated degree or should I go back to school for a physics degree?

It is possible to pursue a physics career with an unrelated degree, but it may be more challenging. You may need to gain additional knowledge through self-study or by taking relevant courses. However, having a physics degree can provide a strong foundation and open up more opportunities in the field.

4. Are there any alternative paths to entering the field of physics if I have an unrelated degree?

Yes, there are alternative paths to entering the field of physics with an unrelated degree. Some options include pursuing a graduate degree in physics or a related field, taking online courses or workshops, and gaining research experience through internships or volunteer opportunities. It is important to research and consider which path aligns best with your goals and circumstances.

5. How can I make my application stand out to a physics program if I have an unrelated degree?

To make your application stand out, you can highlight any relevant coursework or research experience you have completed during your current degree. Additionally, you can explain why you are interested in pursuing a physics degree and how it relates to your future goals. It may also be beneficial to showcase any skills or qualities that make you a strong candidate for a physics program, such as problem-solving abilities, mathematical proficiency, and critical thinking skills.