How to emulate the sound of a ringing bell?

• Thread starter Rootzee
  • Start date
In summary, to emulate the sound of a ringing bell, one can use a synthesizer or digital audio workstation to create a bell-like tone by adjusting the waveform, frequency, and decay. Adding effects such as reverb or delay can also enhance the sound and create a more realistic ringing bell effect. Additionally, using a sample or recording of an actual ringing bell and manipulating it with effects can also produce a convincing bell sound. Experimenting with different techniques and settings can help achieve the desired sound for any musical or sound effect needs.
Rootzee
How did you find PF?
internet
Hello all, new to this forum. For an (art) sound installation I would like to apply the the changes in frequency one can hear when a church bell is swinging through the air onto other acoustic sounds in a computer.

I understand there are many variables ( size, material and thickness of the bell, speed it is swinging with, force it is being hit with, rate of decay, surrounding acoustics, etc etc) but I am wondering if anybody knows of certain frequency curves that are at play in the changing sounds (Doppler effect among others?).

My background is in music, not in physics. I am using Logic Pro as my computer software to record and edit, but I can get my hands on other software if necessary. Perhaps it would be useful to first establish the sound frequency characteristics of a generic bell (sounding in place), and then add the expected changes when swinging in the air?
Many thanks for your thoughts.

( my sincere apologies if this is not the right place to post this - please advise as to where to post this properly)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

This thread is meant to introduce yourself if you wish to. For technical questions please use our technical forums. I see that you already did so. Thus:

Stay curious and have fun!