How to Emigrate to USA | Tips & Advice

• Thread starter jamesa00789
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usa
In summary, the conversation is about a British physics student wanting to work in the USA after completing his Masters in applied mathematics and computing. He is seeking advice on how to obtain a visa and a job offer, and the difficulties associated with it. Some suggestions include getting a PhD or Masters in the USA, finding a job with a multinational company, or starting a business. The conversation also includes anecdotes and opinions on emigrating to different countries.
jamesa00789
Hi,

I'm not sure why I'm posting here but because Physicists generally know everything...

Im British and I have a First Class Honours degree in Physics (the highest grade possible in the british system) and I'm currently doing a masters in applied mathematics and computing (finishing next september) and I really want to work in the USA after completion.

So how would I go about doing this? I literally have no idea where to start and I want to do my research early. Obviously I need a visa and a job offer, both are extremely difficult to come by - but I just need a starting place! I would be looking for anything mathematical such as finance (I do a lot of finance modules) or I.T.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anecdote, take it FWIW: I know someone that emigrated from the Arab Emirates and did his undergraduate degree in the US, later got a job there. The employer basically has to be willing to "sponsor your visa" or something to that avail, generally it'll only happen if its a high paying/skilled job. After that, getting a permanent residency status is apparently easier.

However I have no idea how this works for EU nationals, perhaps obtaining a greencard is easier. You could start by looking at the INS' webpage.

I would be interest in having details too. I am finishing my master in theoretical physics this year in France, I would like to have an experience in the US/Canada. I think it's too late to apply for a Phd starting next September but maybe for an internship starting in March?

I think it's too late to apply for a Phd starting next September

NO! Now is the time to apply for doctoral programs if you want to enroll in Fall 2012.

Is there a chance for student who needs internship?

flemmyd said:
NO! Now is the time to apply for doctoral programs if you want to enroll in Fall 2012.

Note that most graduate schools in the USA require you to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) for admission, both the general exam and the physics exam, and you need to take it next month if you want your scores to be available in time for your application:

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/about

http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about

from what I've heard unless you have some, umm, special channels, you need to have some spectacular talents and skills to obtain a PR. such as an internationally competitive athlete or a job offer from an employer who can prove your skills are unable to be acquired locally.

wukunlin said:
from what I've heard unless you have some, umm, special channels, you need to have some spectacular talents and skills to obtain a PR. such as an internationally competitive athlete or a job offer from an employer who can prove your skills are unable to be acquired locally.

As far as I know, that's generally how it works in most countries.

I know of people who went to X place with a tourist visa, found a job and then got their PR...

jamesa00789 said:
Hi,

I'm not sure why I'm posting here but because Physicists generally know everything...

Im British and I have a First Class Honours degree in Physics (the highest grade possible in the british system) and I'm currently doing a masters in applied mathematics and computing (finishing next september) and I really want to work in the USA after completion.

So how would I go about doing this? I literally have no idea where to start and I want to do my research early. Obviously I need a visa and a job offer, both are extremely difficult to come by - but I just need a starting place! I would be looking for anything mathematical such as finance (I do a lot of finance modules) or I.T.

Thanks!

Hi, I have been in your position and I would say that emigration to the USA is very tough. By far the most straightforward path would be a PhD/Masters over there leading onto a job. You will not stand a chance by just putting your CV on job websites or sending it directly to them etc, they will only interview you when you are already living in the country. A great website for all info about this is http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

The visa you need is a H1B I believe and empoyers need to show that you have some exceptional skill that no US national could be employed to do, these visas are limited in number. I think if you are not keen on the US PhD route (which is definitely a long slog if you'd only be doing the PhD for some job at the end of it) the only other realistic route is to get a job in the UK for some multinational company with a view to get transferred to one of their US offices after a few years of working for them (of course this probably wouldn't be guaranteed either).

As far as I know these are the only two serious routes for someone in your position, the others are more exotic, like start your own business with x million amount of turnover, or marry a USC, unless you have some family there.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with ZapperZ.
Besides, Norway is a much nicer place than the USA, since we have fjords and reindeer.
You are welcome to emigrate here! :smile:

arildno said:
I agree with ZapperZ.
Besides, Norway is a much nicer place than the USA, since we have fjords and reindeer.
You are welcome to emigrate here! :smile:

Actually, I keep hearing that the best country in the world to live in is Denmark!

Anyways, I'm a second-generation German-American, and I've thought of emigrating myself. I've thought of moving to Germany, but the economy there is awful, and I've thought of moving to Canada, but they're even more of a police state right now than the US is.

I've heard so many people say that "England isn't England anymore", but America isn't America anymore, and Canada isn't Canada anymore, and Germany, well, thank God Germany isn't Germany anymore.

By the way, as I said on another thread, I'm part Viking myself, as my great-great-great grandmother was named Bystrom. She wasn't born in Scandinavia, but in Prussian Poland (then the far eastern portion of the Kingdom of Prussia), so she was likely descended from Norse settlers in that part of Europe.

arildno said:
I agree with ZapperZ.
Besides, Norway is a much nicer place than the USA

Until you hit winter, then you can't see the place coz it's permanently night time.
:D:D:D

BadBrain said:
By the way, as I said on another thread, I'm part Viking myself, as my great-great-great grandmother was named Bystrom. She wasn't born in Scandinavia, but in Prussian Poland (then the far eastern portion of the Kingdom of Prussia), so she was likely descended from Norse settlers in that part of Europe.

Woe and be gone!
Bystrom is a Swedish name.

Use your contacts, that's very important. Talk to people and find out if you get a sponsorship through one of their contacts. I stayed three years in the US on a J-1 scholar visa, my first contact was through my teacher, who knew a researcher in the hospital, who had a collaboration in the US.

I also know many Dutch students who do their PhD in the US, they don't need to do a GRE or TOEFL or pay tuition: they have a professor in their home country sponsoring them. They're working in the US, but their defense will be back home. I suspect they are also on a J-1 visa, I can ask if you'd like to know.

If that also doesn't work out, you can always join the lottery for a green card, I know people who won PR through that :biggrin:

If your intent is to emigrate, be careful about a J-1. These often come with a requirement to return to your home country for two years after graduation. F-1 is a student visa without this requirement.

And to get an H1B, you don't need to have to prove that no US citizen could do the job... the company only has to make a "good faith" effort to find a US citizen. There is no real enforcement mechanism though to say that a company didn't try hard enough.

I've known a *lot* of people who went the F1 -> H1B -> green card route.

The UK is blocked from the Green Card lottery (Diversity Immigrant visa) right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_Immigrant_Visa

Here are some useful sites.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=80f63a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=80f63a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1318.html

LAHLH said:
As far as I know these are the only two serious routes for someone in your position, the others are more exotic, like start your own business with x million amount of turnover, or marry a USC, unless you have some family there.

Start looking for a spouse in the relationships subforum - preferably someone that only wants to get hitched temporarily.

BadBrain said:
Anyways, I'm a second-generation German-American, and I've thought of emigrating myself. I've thought of moving to Germany, but the economy there is awful

I thought the German economy is the best in Europe at the moment. And the Americans keep moaning about their economy so it can't be that great.

I brought my (now) wife over from Wales on a fiance visa. Relatively easy, but the catch is that I essentially had to become her sponsor, had to prove that I could support her, they don't want want "imports" to end up on the US dole. So don't count upon a starving US student to get you in, which seems to include about 90% of your fiance pool...

TMFKAN64 said:
If your intent is to emigrate, be careful about a J-1. These often come with a requirement to return to your home country for two years after graduation. F-1 is a student visa without this requirement.
Good point, I didn't think of that. I think my J-1 said the 2-yr rule didn't apply, it's been a while though :smile:

BobG said:
Start looking for a spouse in the relationships subforum - preferably someone that only wants to get hitched temporarily.
I don't think my requirement of "imaginary person" would work. :-p

arildno said:
Woe and be gone!
Bystrom is a Swedish name.

From the part of Europe that she's from, I'd suspected that!

Specifically, "bystrom" means "dwelling-place stream", i.e., a stream of water that runs past the villagers' huts.

Anyways, even though she lived long ago, I'm quite certain she would have enjoyed this song:

By the way, your answer reminds me of a census that the Church of Norway conducted in the 1850's, to which a pastor of a church in my native state of Wisconsin, USA, responded by saying: "We have here twelve Christians and one Swede!".

Cheers!

Related to How to Emigrate to USA | Tips & Advice

1. What is the first step to emigrate to the USA?

The first step to emigrate to the USA is to determine your eligibility for a visa. There are various types of visas available, such as family-based, employment-based, and diversity visas. You can check the official U.S. Department of State website for more information on each type of visa and the eligibility requirements.

2. How long does the emigration process take?

The emigration process can vary in length depending on your individual circumstances and the type of visa you are applying for. It typically takes several months to a year to complete the entire process, from gathering necessary documents to attending interviews and waiting for approval. It is important to start the process as early as possible to allow for any unexpected delays.

3. Can I emigrate to the USA without a job offer?

While having a job offer from a U.S. employer can make the emigration process easier, it is not a requirement for all types of visas. If you have a special skill or have a family member who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for a visa without a job offer. It is best to consult with an immigration lawyer or the U.S. Department of State to determine your options.

4. What documents do I need to emigrate to the USA?

The specific documents you will need to emigrate to the USA will depend on your individual circumstances and the type of visa you are applying for. Generally, you will need a valid passport, proof of financial support, and any relevant educational or work experience documents. It is important to carefully review the requirements for your specific visa and ensure you have all the necessary documents before beginning the application process.

5. Can I bring my family with me when I emigrate to the USA?

If you are eligible for a family-based visa, you may be able to bring your immediate family members with you when you emigrate to the USA. This includes your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21. However, if you are applying for an employment-based visa, your family members may need to apply for their own visas separately. It is important to carefully review the eligibility requirements for each type of visa to determine if your family members can accompany you.