How to eliminate imaginary parts of complex expression?

In summary, the problem is how to express complex numbers x1, x2, x3, and x4 in terms of real parts only, which cannot be done since they all depend on the imaginary part. However, if you take the conjugate of each variable and consider their sum, you may be able to find the real part of the complex number.
kaizen.moto
Hi,
I have a problem on how to convert the imaginary parts of expression into all real parts. For example:

x1 = - (a + ib)
x2 = (a + ib)
x3 = - (a - ib)
x4 = (a - ib)

My question is that how to express x1, x2, x3 and x4 in terms of real parts only without imaginary parts. I have used Eulers Formula, De Moivers theorem, polar coordinates to solve this problem but still ending with imaginary parts.

Please help me how to solve this problems.

Many thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
kaizen.moto said:
Hi,
I have a problem on how to convert the imaginary parts of expression into all real parts. For example:

x1 = - (a + ib)
x2 = (a + ib)
x3 = - (a - ib)
x4 = (a - ib)

My question is that how to express x1, x2, x3 and x4 in terms of real parts only without imaginary parts. I have used Eulers Formula, De Moivers theorem, polar coordinates to solve this problem but still ending with imaginary parts.

Many thanks in advance.

If I think what you're trying to do is find Re(z) where z is the complex variable using a formula, then the only way to find Re(z) without just getting it directly by looking at it, is to use the conjugate.

Re(z) = (z + conjugate(z))/2

If you have the polar coordinates you can simply use

Re(z) = r * cos(theta)

Hope that helps!

kaizen.moto said:
Hi,

x1 = - (a + ib)
x2 = (a + ib)
x3 = - (a - ib)
x4 = (a - ib)

My question is that how to express x1, x2, x3 and x4 in terms of real parts only without imaginary parts.
You can't. Because those are complex numbers, they cannot be expressed solely in terms of real numbers. If you mean "express only in terms of a, the real part of each number, you can't do that either because they all depend upon b, the imaginary part.

I have used Eulers Formula, De Moivers theorem, polar coordinates to solve this problem but still ending with imaginary parts.

Many thanks in advance.
It's not clear what you want to do- you can't write a complex number without using imaginary numbers.

As HallsofIvy said, you can't. You should be clearer with your word choice if you wish to do what chiro referred to.

As per your problem: take a look at the variables and see if you can find the conjugate of each expressed as another variable, and then consider their sum.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It seems like you are trying to eliminate the imaginary parts of a complex expression. This can be done by using a technique called "conjugation".

To eliminate the imaginary parts, we can use the fact that the product of a complex number and its conjugate is always a real number. The conjugate of a complex number is found by changing the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the conjugate of (a + ib) is (a - ib).

Using this, we can express x1, x2, x3, and x4 in terms of their real parts only by multiplying each expression by its conjugate and simplifying:

x1 = -(a + ib) * (a - ib) = -a^2 - b^2
x2 = (a + ib) * (a - ib) = a^2 + b^2
x3 = -(a - ib) * (a + ib) = -a^2 - b^2
x4 = (a - ib) * (a + ib) = a^2 + b^2

As you can see, all imaginary parts have been eliminated and we are left with only the real parts. I hope this helps you solve your problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best of luck!

Related to How to eliminate imaginary parts of complex expression?

1. How do I identify imaginary parts in a complex expression?

To identify imaginary parts in a complex expression, look for terms that contain the imaginary unit, i, or the square root of negative one.

2. What is the difference between a real and an imaginary part?

The real part of a complex expression is a real number, while the imaginary part is a multiple of the imaginary unit, i. The real part represents the horizontal component and the imaginary part represents the vertical component in the complex plane.

3. Can I eliminate imaginary parts in a complex expression?

Yes, it is possible to eliminate imaginary parts in a complex expression by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

4. What is the purpose of eliminating imaginary parts in a complex expression?

Eliminating imaginary parts can simplify the expression and make it easier to work with mathematically. It can also help in visualizing the complex number in the complex plane.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for eliminating imaginary parts in a complex expression?

Yes, there are several rules and guidelines for eliminating imaginary parts in a complex expression. For example, to eliminate an imaginary number, we can multiply both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the imaginary number. We can also use the laws of exponents and logarithms to simplify the expression.