How to Effectively Solve for the Particular Solution in Differential Equations?

In summary, the method of undetermined coefficients can be a useful tool for solving relatively simple problems, but it takes practice to develop a good intuition.
joker2014
I have an exam in 2 days and I am still getting confused on how to find yp , the particular solution.
for example
y''+ 4y = 9te^t+ 4
or tsin(2t) + 2

Is it only by guessing and that's it? I still can't answer these questions 100% correctly. I would like to have your advises to find the best way to solve this complicated undertemind coeff.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always use variation of parameters or Laplace transforms to find the particular solution.

The method of undetermined coefficients is nice because it requires a minimal amount of work when the form of the solution is obvious. It also helps develp a intuition to the solution of various differential equations. Which is useful later on. That being said, it takes practice to develop a good intuition.

joker2014 said:
I have an exam in 2 days and I am still getting confused on how to find yp , the particular solution.
for example
y''+ 4y = 9te^t+ 4
or tsin(2t) + 2

Is it only by guessing and that's it? I still can't answer these questions 100% correctly. I would like to have your advises to find the best way to solve this complicated undertemind coeff.
For relatively simple problems like the ones above, the method of undetermined coefficients works pretty well.
1. y'' + 4y = 9tet + 4
Homogenous problem: y'' + 4y = 0
Solution set basis: {cos(2t), sin(2t)}
Nonhomogeneous problem: y'' + 4y = 9tet + 4
Particular solution set basis: {et, tet, 1}
Particular solution: ##y_p = Ae^t + Bte^t + C##
General solution: ##y = c_1cos(2t) + c_2sin(2t) + Ae^t + Bte^t + C##
It's worth noting here that the "forcing function" (the right side of the nonhomogeneous problem) has no solutions in common with those of the homogeneous problem. It's also worth noting that since the right side includes tet, our particular solution has to include both et and tet. If the right side had included t2et, we would have needed to have et, tet, and t2et in the particular solution.

2. y'' + 4y = tsin(2t) + 4
Homogenous problem: y'' + 4y = 0 (same as before)
Solution set basis: {cos(2t), sin(2t)} (same as before)
Nonhomogeneous problem: y'' + 4y = tsin(2t) + 4
Particular solution set basis: {{s}cos(2t)[/s], sin(2t), tcos(2t), tsin(2t), 1}
I have the four sin/cos terms because of the tsin(2t) term in the forcing function. I have two of them lined out because cos(2t) and sin(2t) are solutions to the homogeneous problem, so couldn't possibly be solutions of the nonhomogeneous problem.
Particular solution: ##y_p = Atcos(2t) + Btsin(2t) + C##
General solution: ##y = c_1cos(2t) + c_2sin(2t) + Atcos(2t) + Btsin(2t) + C##

If the right side of the nonhomogeneous problem had included t2sin(2t), the basis for the nonhomog. problem would have needed to included tcos(2t), tsin(2t), t2cos(2t), and t2sin(2t).

Related to How to Effectively Solve for the Particular Solution in Differential Equations?

What is a particular solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies both the equation and any initial or boundary conditions. It is one of the many possible solutions to a differential equation.

Why is it important to find a particular solution?

Finding a particular solution allows us to determine the exact solution to a differential equation and make predictions about the behavior of a system over time. It helps us understand the relationship between different variables and how they change over time.

How do you find a particular solution?

To find a particular solution, you must first identify the type of differential equation you are dealing with and determine the appropriate method for solving it. This could involve using integration, substitution, or other techniques. Then, you must apply any initial or boundary conditions to find the specific solution that satisfies the equation.

Can there be more than one particular solution to a differential equation?

Yes, there can be multiple particular solutions to a differential equation. This is because a differential equation can have infinitely many solutions, and each particular solution is just one possibility. Different initial or boundary conditions can lead to different particular solutions.

What are some real-world applications of finding a particular solution?

Differential equations are widely used in science and engineering to model the behavior of complex systems. Finding a particular solution allows us to make predictions about how these systems will evolve over time, which is crucial in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. For example, particular solutions can be used to model the spread of diseases, the growth of populations, and the movement of particles.