How to do hydrocyclone calculations in this assignment?

In summary: You can also calculate the imperfection of the hydrocyclone.In summary, the conversation discusses a chemical engineering assignment on hydrocyclone performance prediction. The lecturer provided a diagram and information on feed and product, and the assignment requires a MATLAB code to calculate various parameters. The conversation also mentions the need to calculate size distributions, mass and volume splits, relative densities, and imperfection of the hydrocyclone. The first step is to perform a material balance, followed by calculations using the data provided in Table 1. The optimal cyclone size can also be determined using the data.
Naicker2013
I am a chemical engineering student and our lecturer gave us this assignment. I completed part two of the assignment but this is part one. Nobody in my class seems to know exactly what to do. It's hard to understand what exactly he is asking for. I can write the MATLAB code once I understand how to perform the calculations. I would like to know what how to do it in steps. If anyone could help with this then it would be greatly appreciated.

Hydrocyclone diagram was also given with the following information

Feed: fi , F
solids= 200 t/h
ps= 2.7 g/m^3

Overflow: o/fi , O/F

Underflow: u/fi , U/F
water=270 t/h

Assume the following:
• water fraction (short circuiting = water in underflow/water in feed) = 0.262
• Volume % solids in underflow = 40

1.1 Write a Matlab code to predict the performance, parameters, and product size distributions of the hydrocyclone. The user should input the desired d50 size, the relative densities of solids and pulp, and the volumetric flowrate of the pulp. The code should then outputs the cyclone size that is optimal for the imputed data, or all the cyclone sizes that will satisfy the imputed data at the user’s choice. As the size distribution of the feed is available, the code calculates the size distributions, mass and volume splits, and relative densities of the overflow and underflow pulp. The imperfection should also be calculated.
1.2 The code must also output the feed distribution together with the resulting semi-log graph of Mass % of feed material reporting to the underflow (U/F) versus the mean particle sizes (μm) on the sampling data shown in Table 1. Label all axes and include comments in your Matlab code to describe your method.

Table 1. Screening Analysis of the feed, underflow and overflow

Screen Size (mm)

Feed mass%

Overflow mass%

Underflow mass%

I assume that the first step is to start with a material balance on the hydrocyclone.

Physics news on Phys.org
From there, you can calculate the mass fractions of the feed, overflow, and underflow. Then, you can calculate the size distribution of the feed, overflow, and underflow from the data given in Table 1. Next, you can calculate the relative densities of the solids and pulp. Finally, you can use the data to calculate the optimal cyclone size for the imputed data. You can also use the data to calculate the size distributions, mass and volume splits, and relative densities of the overflow and underflow pulp.

Related to How to do hydrocyclone calculations in this assignment?

1. How do I determine the cut size of a hydrocyclone?

The cut size of a hydrocyclone can be calculated using the Stokes' Law equation, which takes into account the density and size of the particles, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid. Alternatively, you can use a hydrocyclone sizing chart or simulation software to determine the cut size.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the pressure drop in a hydrocyclone?

The pressure drop in a hydrocyclone is an important parameter as it indicates the efficiency and performance of the hydrocyclone. A higher pressure drop often means better separation of particles, but it also means a higher energy requirement for the hydrocyclone to function.

3. How do I account for different fluid densities when performing hydrocyclone calculations?

When dealing with fluids of different densities, it is important to use the specific gravity correction factor in your calculations. This factor takes into account the difference in density and ensures accurate results.

4. Can I use the same hydrocyclone calculations for all types of particles?

No, different types of particles have different physical properties and will behave differently in a hydrocyclone. Therefore, it is important to consider the size, density, and shape of the particles when performing hydrocyclone calculations to ensure accurate results.

5. How can I validate the accuracy of my hydrocyclone calculations?

One way to validate the accuracy of your hydrocyclone calculations is to compare your results with experimental data or results from a simulation software. It is also important to double-check your inputs and equations to ensure they are correct.