How to differentiate GHZ state and W state?

In summary, the GHZ-state and W-state are two different types of three-qubit states with different levels of entanglement. The three-tangle formula used is correct, but the density matrices used for the states were incorrect. By using the correct density matrices, the correct eigenvalues and three-tangle values can be calculated.
munirah
OP warned about not using the homework template
Good day,

I try to differentiate GHZ-state and W-state using three tangle. Suppose The value three tangle for GHZ-state equal to 1 while W-state equal to 0.

I used three tangle formula,

$$\tau_{ABC}=\tau_{A(BC)}-\tau_{AB}-\tau_{AC}=2(\lambda^{AB}.\lambda^{AB}+\lambda^{AC}.\lambda^{AC})$$

where the the

$$ \lambda^{AB}.\lambda^{AB}$$ and $$\lambda^{AC}.\lambda^{AC}$$ are eigenvalues of

$$\rho_{AB}.\rho^{\sim}_{AB}=(\sigma_y\otimes\sigma_y\rho^*_{AB}\sigma_y\otimes\sigma_y)$$

where the asterisk denotes complex conjugation in the standard basis and $$\sigma_y=\begin{pmatrix} 0 &-i &
\\i & 0
\end{pmatrix}
$$I measure the W-state and the density matrix of W-state:

$$\rho_w=\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\0 & \frac{1}3 & \frac{1}3& 0 & \frac{1}3 & 0 & 0 & 0
\\0 & \frac{1}3 & \frac{1}3& 0 & \frac{1}3 & 0 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\0 & \frac{1}3 & \frac{1}3& 0 & \frac{1}3 & 0 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
\end{pmatrix}$$ and the

$$\rho_{AB}=\rho_{AC}= \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}3 & 0 & 0 & 0
\\0 & \frac{1}3 & \frac{1}3 & 0 \\0 & \frac{1}3 & \frac{1}3 & 0\\0 & 0& 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}$$Since it real matrix I assume it a multiplication matrix between $$\rho_{AB}.\rho^{\sim}_{AB}$$.

I get the eigen values= 2/3 and 1/3

and the value of three tangle for W-state = 0.8888... not 0

Where the wrong I did? I'm really stuck. Please help me to show the way to calculate three tangle correctly.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Let me first clarify the difference between GHZ-states and W-states. A GHZ-state is a three-qubit state that is maximally entangled, meaning that it has a three-tangle value of 1. The W-state, on the other hand, is a three-qubit state that is partially entangled, meaning that it has a three-tangle value less than 1.

Now, let's look at your calculations. The three-tangle formula you have used is correct, but there are a few issues with your matrices. First, the GHZ-state and W-state are not the same state, so you cannot use the same density matrix for both. The density matrix for the GHZ-state should be

$$\rho_{GHZ}=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0
\\0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0& 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}$$

Next, the density matrix you have calculated for the W-state is incorrect. The correct density matrix for the W-state should be

$$\rho_W=\frac{1}{3}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0
\\0 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\0 & 1 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0& 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}$$

Using these correct density matrices, you will get the correct eigenvalues and a three-tangle value of 0 for the W-state.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work in your research!

Related to How to differentiate GHZ state and W state?

1. What is a GHZ state and a W state?

A GHZ state is a type of quantum state where multiple particles are entangled, meaning their quantum states are correlated and cannot be described independently. A W state is also a type of entangled quantum state, but with a different pattern of correlations between particles.

2. How do you create a GHZ state and a W state?

A GHZ state can be created by entangling a set of spin-1/2 particles using quantum gates, while a W state can be created by entangling a set of qubits using a specific sequence of quantum operations.

3. What are the key differences between a GHZ state and a W state?

The main difference between a GHZ state and a W state is the pattern of entanglement between particles. In a GHZ state, all particles are entangled with each other, while in a W state, only a subset of particles are entangled with each other.

4. How can you tell if a state is a GHZ state or a W state?

There are different ways to distinguish between a GHZ state and a W state, such as measuring the correlations between particles or performing certain quantum operations on the state. Additionally, the number of particles and the type of entanglement can also give clues about the type of state.

5. What are the applications of GHZ states and W states?

GHZ states and W states have potential applications in quantum information processing, quantum communication, and quantum cryptography. They can also be used for studying fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and testing quantum entanglement theories.