How to Determine Validity of Power Series Representations for s(x) and s'(x)?

In summary, the power series for sin(x) is \sum\frac{-1^{n}}{(2n+1)!}\left(\frac{\pi\times x^{2}}{2}\right)^{2n+1}\,dx. The taylor series for sin(x) is and by substituting (pi x^2)\2 we get .
mariama1

Homework Statement

Find the power series representation for s(x) and s`(x)
integral sin (pi t^2)\2
and which of them is valid ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this question , but i am not sure
s`(x) = sin (pi t^2)\2 by Abel's theorm

[tex]\sum\ell^in\theta[/tex]

and it converges
I am not sure about the solution , Is it right ? and what about s(x)
Is it - cos(pi t^2)\2 ? and how we can find the power series representaion for it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mariama1 said:

Homework Statement

Find the power series representation for s(x) and s`(x)
I take it that you meant:
[tex]s(x)=\int_0^x \sin \left(\frac{\pi t^2}{2}\right)\,dt [/tex]

and which of them is valid ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this question , but i am not sure
s`(x) = [tex]sin (pi t^2)\2[tex] by Abel's theorm
[tex]\sum [/tex][tex]\ell^ in \theta [/tex]
and it converges
I am not sure about the solution , Is it right ? and what about s(x)
Is it [tex]\ - cos(pi t^2)\2[/tex] ?
[tex]s'(x)=\sin \left(\frac{\pi x^2}{2}\right) [/tex]

Do you know the Taylor Series (actually Maclaurin Series) for sin(x) ?

Substitute πx2/2 for x into the Taylor Series for sin(x).

To find the power series for s(x), integrate the power series for s'(t) from 0 (or whatever the original problem had) to x .

SammyS said:
[tex]s'(x)=\sin \left(\frac{\pi x^2}{2}\right) [/tex]

Do you know the Taylor Series (actually Maclaurin Series) for sin(x) ?

Substitute πx2/2 for x into the Taylor Series for sin(x).

To find the power series for s(x), integrate the power series for s'(t) from 0 (or whatever the original problem had) to x .

The taylor serries for sin (x) = [tex]\sum\frac{-1^{n}}{(2n+1)!}x^{2n+1}[/tex]

and by substituting (pi x^2)\2
we get

[tex]\sum\frac{-1^{n}}{(2n+1)!}\left(\frac{\pi\times x^{2}}{2}\right)^{2n+1}[/tex]

Woow It is a power series now

s(x) =[tex]\int \sum\frac{-1^{n}}{(2n+1)!}\left(\frac{\pi\times x^{2}}{2}\right)^{2n+1}[/tex]

but how can i check if these two are valid ?

Thanks a lot for these useful advices

Last edited:
mariama1 said:

s(x) =[tex]\int \sum\frac{-1^{n}}{(2n+1)!}\left(\frac{\pi\times x^{2}}{2}\right)^{2n+1}[/tex]

but how can i check if these two are valid ?

Thanks a lot for these useful advices
You can actually do the integration if each term in the sum.

[tex]s(x)=\int \left(\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!}\left(\frac{\pi\times x^{2}}{2}\right)^{2n+1}\right)\,dx[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{n=0}^\infty \left(\int \frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!}\left(\frac{\pi\times x^{2}}{2}\right)^{2n+1}\,dx\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\sum_{n=0}^\infty \left(\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!}\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)^{2n+1}\int x^{4n+2}\,dx\right)[/tex]​

To check s'(x), I used WolfrmAlpha.

Related to How to Determine Validity of Power Series Representations for s(x) and s'(x)?

1. What is a power series representation?

A power series representation is a way of expressing a function as an infinite sum of polynomials, where the coefficients of the polynomials depend on a variable raised to successively higher powers. It is a useful tool in mathematics for approximating and manipulating functions.

2. How is a power series representation different from a Taylor series?

A power series representation is a type of Taylor series, which is a representation of a function as a sum of terms involving the function's derivatives evaluated at a single point. The main difference is that a power series representation does not necessarily have to be centered at a specific point, while a Taylor series is always centered at a specific point.

3. What are some common applications of power series representations?

Power series representations are commonly used in calculus for approximating functions, finding derivatives and integrals, and solving differential equations. They are also important in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance for modeling and analyzing real-world phenomena.

4. How does one determine the convergence of a power series representation?

The convergence of a power series representation depends on the values of the coefficients and the variable. One method for determining convergence is the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. Other tests, such as the root test and the integral test, can also be used.

5. Can any function be represented by a power series?

No, not every function has a power series representation. Some functions, such as those with essential singularities, cannot be expressed as a power series. Additionally, the power series representation of a function may not converge for all values of the variable, making it only a local representation. However, many common functions, such as polynomials and trigonometric functions, can be represented by a power series.