How to determine this integral? Thank you

In summary, the conversation involved a student trying to integrate a complex function using algebraic substitution, but facing difficulties. Other users suggested different approaches and provided guidance on how to correctly use substitution. Eventually, the correct answer was given and the student expressed their gratitude.
williamwong0402

Homework Statement

upload_2016-12-12_17-11-48.png

Homework Equations

k∫[ƒ(x)]n ƒ'(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to using algebraic substitution to determine that i had let u = 1-x or X2-2x+1 or x or root(x) but it still cannot solve it.
Please give me hint how to solve it.
Thank you
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd just expand it as a sum of the three terms, each of which is a half-integer power of x, integrate each separately and then simplify the result sum.

Expand ##(1-x)^2=1-2x+x^2## and then treat each term separately.

Likes williamwong0402
The substitution ##u = \sqrt{x}## should have simplified it. Perhaps you ought to post what you did to see where you went wrong.

$$ ∫ \frac{ (1-x)^2 }{ 2 \sqrt{x} } dx$$
$$ =∫ \frac{ (x^2+2x+1) }{ 2 \sqrt{x} } dx$$
$$ Let u = \sqrt{x} $$
$$ dx= \frac{ 2du }{ x^{\frac{ -1 }{ 2 }} } $$
$$ ∫\frac{ (x^2+2x+1) }{ 2u } \frac{ 2du }{ x^{\frac{ -1 }{ 2 }} }$$

and then i have no idea what is next step
thank you very much

williamwong0402 said:
$$ Let u = \sqrt{x} $$
$$ dx= \frac{ 2du }{ x^{\frac{ -1 }{ 2 }} } $$
$$ ∫\frac{ (x^2+2x+1) }{ 2u } \frac{ 2du }{ x^{\frac{ -1 }{ 2 }} }$$

thank you very much

The point of a substitution is to replace one variable with another, not to mix the two. You need to replace all the terms in ##x## with the relevant term in ##u##.

williamwong0402 said:
$$ Let u = \sqrt{x} $$

thank you very much

Using any kind of substitution in this problem is unhelpful; it just makes the problem harder, not easier! Just integrate the three terms separately.

Likes williamwong0402
thank you ~:smile:
The answer:
$$ \frac{ x \frac{ 5 }{ 2 } }{ 5 } + \frac{ 2x \frac{ 3 }{ 2 } }{ 3 } + \sqrt{x} $$
Am i right ?

Ray Vickson said:
Using any kind of substitution in this problem is unhelpful; it just makes the problem harder, not easier! Just integrate the three terms separately.

If the OP doesn't understand how to do substitution, it's as well to get that fixed. He'll need to get to grips with it sooner or later!

williamwong0402 said:
The answer:
$$ \frac{ x \frac{ 5 }{ 2 } }{ 5 } + \frac{ 2x \frac{ 3 }{ 2 } }{ 3 } + \sqrt{x} $$
Am i right ?
You lost a minus sign when you expanded the square, and your formatting is a bit scrambled.

Likes williamwong0402
williamwong0402 said:
The answer:
Am i right ?

You should never (or rarely) have to ask whether an indefinite integral answer is correct. You should differentiate your answer and see whether you get the original function back. You have, however, forgotten the constant of integration.

Likes williamwong0402
ok ~ thank you so much

Related to How to determine this integral? Thank you

1. How do I know which method to use to determine the integral?

The method for determining an integral depends on the form of the integral. Some common methods include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is important to carefully evaluate the integral and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

2. What is the best approach for determining a difficult integral?

Sometimes integrals can be very challenging to solve. In these cases, it may be helpful to break the integral into smaller, more manageable parts or to use a computer program or calculator to assist with the calculation. Another approach is to use numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to approximate the value of the integral.

3. Can I solve an integral without using any special techniques?

In some cases, integrals can be solved using basic algebraic manipulations and properties of integrals. However, for more complicated integrals, it is often necessary to use specific methods and techniques to find the solution.

4. How do I know if my solution to an integral is correct?

If you have used a specific method or technique to solve the integral, it is important to check your work by differentiating your solution. If the result is equal to the original integrand, then your solution is correct. It is also helpful to compare your solution to the solutions found in textbooks or online resources.

5. Is there a general formula for solving all integrals?

Unfortunately, there is no single formula for solving all integrals. Each integral is unique and may require a different approach or combination of methods to solve. It is important to carefully evaluate the integral and use the appropriate method to find the solution.