How to determine the resistance in a electric heater

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an electric heater with two heating coils and four possible configurations. The warmest setting consumes 2000 W and the coolest consumes 300 W. The question is to determine the resistance of R1 in ohms. The individual has tried various approaches, including drawing four configurations and using equations, but is still missing one equation to solve the problem. They are encouraged to think about the parallel and single resistor circuits to find the missing equation.
ronaldinho52
hallo everyone,

I have a problem which i can't solve. Does somebody know how to solve this problem?? The question is:

A 220 V electric heater has two heating coils which can be switched such that either coil can be used independently or can be connected in series or parallel, yielding a total of four possible configurations.
The warmest setting corresponds to 2000 W and the coolest corresponds to 300 W.
R1 > R2

Determine the resistance of R1 [in Ω].

regards

Physics news on Phys.org
ronaldinho52 said:
hallo everyone,

I have a problem which i can't solve. Does somebody know how to solve this problem?? The question is:

A 220 V electric heater has two heating coils which can be switched such that either coil can be used independently or can be connected in series or parallel, yielding a total of four possible configurations.
The warmest setting corresponds to 2000 W and the coolest corresponds to 300 W.
R1 > R2

Determine the resistance of R1 [in Ω].

regards
What have you tried so far? How do you think you can approach it?

I've drawn four configurations;
1) two resistors parallel (R1 and R2) with a source voltage of 220 V
2) 1 resistor with a source voltage of 220 V
3) 1 resistor with a source voltage of 220 V
4) two resistors (R1 and R2) in series with a source voltage of 220 V

For each of these configurations I've computed the equivalent resistance and concluded that configuration 1 consumes the most power (so 2000 W) and config. 2 the least power (300 W). So for config. 1 I have 4 unknowns; R1, R2, I1, I2 and I have 3 equations; R1=U/I1 R2=U/I2 and finally P=(I1^2)*R1 + (I2^2)*R2. So I'm missing one equation to solve this problem and I do not know which one. I've also tried to use the last configuration and to relate these configs but I didn't get an answer that makes reason.

ronaldinho52 said:

For each of these configurations I've computed the equivalent resistance and concluded that configuration 1 consumes the most power (so 2000 W) and config. 2 the least power (300 W). So for config. 1 I have 4 unknowns; R1, R2, I1, I2 and I have 3 equations; R1=U/I1 R2=U/I2 and finally P=(I1^2)*R1 + (I2^2)*R2. So I'm missing one equation to solve this problem and I do not know which one. I've also tried to use the last configuration and to relate these configs but I didn't get an answer that makes reason.
You just need to think a little more. For example, in the parallel circuit you know that [itex]V_1=V_2=V[/itex]. Thus,

[tex]P_p = V^2\left(\frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2}\right)[/tex]

And you already know the parallel circuit power consumption. Now, how about the single resistor circuit?

ronaldinho52 said:

For each of these configurations I've computed the equivalent resistance and concluded that configuration 1 consumes the most power (so 2000 W) and config. 2 the least power (300 W).

Wouldn't the least power occur when the net resistance is as large as possible? After all, P = V2/R.

Related to How to determine the resistance in a electric heater

1. What is resistance in an electric heater?

Resistance is a measure of how much an object or material opposes the flow of electric current. In an electric heater, resistance refers to how easily or difficultly the electricity can pass through the heating element to produce heat.

2. How do you calculate the resistance in an electric heater?

The resistance in an electric heater can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This can be represented by the equation R=V/I. The values for voltage and current can be measured using a multimeter, and then the resistance can be calculated using the equation.

3. What factors affect the resistance in an electric heater?

The resistance in an electric heater can be affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the heating element, the temperature of the element, and any external factors such as dust or moisture on the surface of the element. Additionally, the length and diameter of the wire used in the heating element can also impact the resistance.

4. Why is it important to determine the resistance in an electric heater?

Determining the resistance in an electric heater is important because it allows you to understand how much energy is being used to produce heat and whether the heater is functioning properly. It can also help in troubleshooting any issues with the heater, as changes in resistance can indicate potential problems with the heating element or other components.

5. Can the resistance in an electric heater be changed?

Yes, the resistance in an electric heater can be changed by altering the properties of the heating element. For example, using a different material or changing the thickness of the element can impact the resistance. Additionally, the resistance can also be adjusted by changing the voltage or current supplied to the heater, although this should only be done under the guidance of a professional to avoid potential safety hazards.