Internal Resistance in a Battery

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving three resistors connected in series to a battery. The resistances and current are given, and the problem asks for the potential difference across the battery terminals in two different scenarios. One scenario assumes an ideal battery, while the other involves a battery with an internal resistance. The conversation goes on to discuss possible discrepancies in the answers and the need for further clarification in the problem statement.
mattbeatlefreak

Homework Statement

Three resistors are connected in series to a battery. The resistances are R1 = 15 Ω ,R2 = 25 Ω , and R3 = 30 Ω and the current through the 15-Ω, resistor is 2.7 A .

What is the potential difference across the battery terminals if the battery is ideal?

What is the potential difference across the battery terminals if the battery has an internal resistance of 5.0 Ω?

Homework Equations

V=iR

Vbatt = ξ*[R/(Rbatt+R)] (this equation was derived in my textbook from Vbatt = ξ - iRbatt)

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is very straightforward. The total resistance for the first part is just the sum of the resistors since they are in parallel. Solving for the potential difference across the battery I get 189 V; this answer was accepted as correct.

However, when I use the next equation, I get 176.4 V for the second part. Neither 176 or 177 volts (177 in the case that you round 189 to 190) was accepted.
I even checked my answer with this website simulation thing http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dcex6.html

I feel confident that this is the correct answer, but it is not being accepted. Any thoughts on why? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds a bit like a trick question to me. Note that you are not given the EMF of the battery.

Likes mattbeatlefreak
The problem statement is a bit vague: It doesn't specify whether the same current, 2.7 A, is measured through the 15 Ω resistor in both cases. It also doesn't claim that the emf of the battery is the same in both cases, or if the second case involves a different battery altogether not just the addition of another resistance.

What voltage would you measure across the battery terminals if the current was the same in both cases?Edit: Ah. I see that Doc Al got in there before me.

Likes mattbeatlefreak
gneill said:
The problem statement is a bit vague: It doesn't specify whether the same current, 2.7 A, is measured through the 15 Ω resistor in both cases. It also doesn't claim that the emf of the battery is the same in both cases, or if the second case involves a different battery altogether not just the addition of another resistance.

What voltage would you measure across the battery terminals if the current was the same in both cases?

I assumed that they were talking about the same battery since they reference it as "the" battery in both questions. Thanks for the tip, got the right answer now.

Related to Internal Resistance in a Battery

1. What is internal resistance in a battery?

Internal resistance refers to the resistance that exists within a battery itself, causing a voltage drop when current is drawn from the battery. It is typically caused by the movement of ions and electrons within the battery's electrolyte and electrodes.

2. How does internal resistance affect a battery's performance?

Internal resistance can significantly impact a battery's performance, as it causes a voltage drop and reduces the battery's overall capacity to deliver energy. This can result in a shorter lifespan and decreased efficiency of the battery.

3. What factors can affect the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery can be influenced by several factors, including the type and chemistry of the battery, temperature, and the age and condition of the battery. Higher temperatures and older batteries tend to have a higher internal resistance.

4. How can internal resistance be measured?

Internal resistance can be measured using a multimeter or specialized equipment such as a battery impedance meter. This involves applying a load to the battery and measuring the voltage drop across the battery terminals to calculate the internal resistance.

5. Can internal resistance be reduced or eliminated?

While internal resistance cannot be completely eliminated, it can be reduced by using high-quality batteries, keeping them at a suitable temperature, and avoiding overcharging or discharging the battery. Proper maintenance and handling can also help minimize internal resistance and prolong the life of the battery.