How to determine length of a spring

In summary, to accurately measure the length of a spring, you will need to stretch it out on a flat surface and use a ruler or measuring tape with small increments. The weight of the spring, as well as factors such as temperature and tension, can also affect its length and should be taken into consideration during measurement.
Nicholas Morse
Hi Everyone,

Kind of a tough question here. How do I determine the length of a spring if we don't have any visual information about it? All we have is the spring rate & change of object position from when the spring is uncoiled, to fully coiled.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I tried the hooke's law formula but it gave me some goofy length equations which wouldn't make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, the system is dampened and we have the resistance rates of the compression and rebound resistance.

Related to How to determine length of a spring

1. How do you measure the length of a spring?

To measure the length of a spring, you will need a ruler or measuring tape. Place the spring on a flat surface and stretch it out as far as it can go without distorting its shape. Then, measure the distance from one end of the spring to the other end.

2. Do I need to stretch the spring to measure its length?

Yes, in order to accurately measure the length of a spring, it must be stretched out to its full length. This ensures that the measurement includes the entire length of the spring, including any coils or loops.

3. Does the weight of the spring affect its length?

Yes, the weight of a spring can affect its length. Heavier springs may stretch out more under their own weight, while lighter springs may not stretch out as much. This can impact the measurement of the length of the spring.

4. Can I use any ruler or measuring tape to determine the length of a spring?

It is recommended to use a ruler or measuring tape with small increments, such as millimeters or centimeters, to accurately measure the length of a spring. This will provide a more precise measurement compared to using a ruler with larger increments.

5. Are there any other factors that can impact the measurement of a spring's length?

Yes, factors such as temperature and tension can also impact the length of a spring. Changes in temperature can cause the spring to expand or contract, while applying tension or force on the spring can alter its length. It is important to take these factors into consideration when measuring the length of a spring.