Calculating Torsional Force - Compression Springs

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the force required to twist a helical compression spring around the axis of its coils, using Hooke's law. The context is a doohickey that compresses the spring and releases it using a 90 degree handle and a notch. The formula provided for calculating the angular deflection is Aptangular deflection = (M*pi*D*N)/(E*I), where M is the applied moment, D is the mean coil diameter, N is the number of active coils, E is the young's modulus, and I is the second moment of area of the wire. Consistent units should be used when using this formula.
apt403
Let's say I've got a helical compression spring of a known length and strength, and I want to know how much force it would take to twist the spring around the axis of its coils, effectively making the diameter of each coil smaller, so it acts a bit like a torsion spring.

I know Hooke's law is probably relevant, just not sure how to go from data on a linear force to that of angular force.

I'm working on a doohickey that compresses a spring fixed around a rod with a 90 degree handle on one end - The rod is inside a tube with a channel cut down its length, with a notch at the end of the channel so the rod can be locked into place and hold the spring compressed. I'd like to calculate (roughly) the amount of force I'll have to apply to the handle in order to move it out of the notch and subsequently let the spring/rod assembly fly forward (ignoring drag from the air, friction of the parts against each other, etc).

- Apt

Physics news on Phys.org
angular deflection = (M*pi*D*N)/(E*I)

where M = applied moment, or torque
D = mean coil diameter
N = number of active coils
E = young's modulua
I = second moment of area of wire

Use consistent units.

Cheers,
Terry

Related to Calculating Torsional Force - Compression Springs

1. What is torsional force?

Torsional force is the force that is applied to an object in a twisting or rotating motion. It is also known as torque and is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm).

2. How do you calculate torsional force?

Torsional force can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This is known as the lever arm or moment arm and is typically measured in meters (m).

3. What is the formula for calculating torsional force?

The formula for calculating torsional force is F = r x T, where F is the torsional force (in Nm), r is the lever arm or moment arm (in m), and T is the applied force (in N).

4. How does torsional force affect compression springs?

Torsional force can cause compression springs to twist or bend, which can affect their ability to compress and expand properly. This can lead to decreased performance or even failure of the spring.

5. Can torsional force be controlled or reduced in compression springs?

Yes, torsional force can be controlled or reduced in compression springs by using a larger wire diameter, increasing the number of active coils, or using a different type of spring design such as a torsion spring. It is important to carefully consider the intended use and load requirements when selecting a compression spring to ensure it can withstand the expected torsional force.