How to determine if a subset of rank-1 matrices can sum to a full-rank matrix?

In summary, the question asks if there exists a subset of the rank-1 matrices in a decomposition of a full-rank d x d matrix whose sum is also a full-rank matrix. The special case of d=1 is easily proven, and for the general case, it can be shown that choosing the matrix with non-trivial elements in each column will result in a full-rank subset.
Pere Callahan
HI,

I came across the following question, which I could only solve for one trivial special case. I'm hoping for help from your side on how to deal with the general case.

Assume we are in the situation that we have a decomposition of a full-rank d x d matrix, M, into a sum of N rank-1 matrices, N>d, in formulas,
[tex]
M = m_1+\ldots+m_N.
[/tex]

I'm interested in whether or not one can in general conclude that there exists a subset [itex]\{m_{k_1},\ldots,m_{k_d}\}[/itex] whose sum is a full-rank (that is rank d) matrix.

The special case I mentioned is the case d=1, in which case there is nothing to prove:smile:
What I tried is writing the rank 1 matrices [itex]m_n[/itex] as an outer product of vectors, that is [itex]m_n=b_n\otimes a_n[/itex]. Then the assumption that the sum of the [itex]m_n[/itex] have full rank certainly implies that the [itex]b_n[/itex] span all of [itex]\mathbb{R}^d[/itex], so in looking for a subset whose sum is rank d I started with choosing a basis from among the [itex]b_n[/itex]; i did not succeed, however, in showing that the sum of the corresponding [itex]m_n[/itex] is a full rank matrix.I would appreciate any tips from you,

Thanks,
Pere

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is true. I'll outline the proof, and let you fill in the details.

For each column there exists a matrix in the decomposition with non-trivial elements in that column.

So if we choose the kth element of our subset as the one with non-zero entries in the kth column the sum of this subset must be full rank.

Related to How to determine if a subset of rank-1 matrices can sum to a full-rank matrix?

1. What is the definition of rank of a sum of matrices?

The rank of a sum of matrices is defined as the maximum number of linearly independent columns or rows in the sum of the matrices.

2. How is the rank of a sum of matrices related to the individual ranks of the matrices?

The rank of a sum of matrices can be at most equal to the sum of the individual ranks of the matrices, but it can also be less than the sum in certain cases.

3. Can the rank of a sum of matrices ever be greater than the sum of the individual ranks?

No, the rank of a sum of matrices can never be greater than the sum of the individual ranks. It is always equal to or less than the sum.

4. What is the significance of the rank of a sum of matrices?

The rank of a sum of matrices can provide important information about the linear dependence or independence of the matrices involved. It is also related to the dimension of the vector space spanned by the matrices.

5. Are there any special cases where the rank of a sum of matrices is easy to determine?

Yes, if the matrices involved have a common nullspace, then the rank of the sum is simply the sum of the individual ranks. Similarly, if the matrices have no common nullspace, then the rank of the sum is equal to the maximum of the individual ranks.