How to Determine If A Controversial Statement Is Scientifically True

• Thread starter tahayassen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about an article by lifehacker discussing how to determine if a controversial statement is scientifically true. The article is recommended for intelligent individuals who have not studied science, but it can also benefit anyone as it addresses confirmation biases and offers a method for approaching false information on the internet.
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice intro article for intelligent people who haven't ever studied science.

Ryan_m_b said:
Nice intro article for intelligent people who haven't ever studied science.

Ouch. That hurt, because I have studied science. :eek:

edit: I'm not sure if high school science counts. :confused:

tahayassen said:
Ouch. That hurt, because I have studied science. :eek:

edit: I'm not sure if high school science counts. :confused:
Lol, I meant it genuinely. Not as a dig. If someone has studied science properly (not sure if your high school counts to be honest because most schools don't teach science, they teach lists of facts determined by science) they should know all this as basic.

Actually it's a great article for anybody, because it addresses not only confirmation biases but internet specific resources, and gives a kind of "method" for approaching the particular brand of quackery and flim-flammery proliferated by the wonderful beast known as the Internet.

Related to How to Determine If A Controversial Statement Is Scientifically True

1. How do scientists determine if a controversial statement is scientifically true?

Scientists use the scientific method to determine if a statement is scientifically true. This involves formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments or observations, and analyzing the data to draw a conclusion.

2. What makes a statement controversial in the scientific community?

A statement is considered controversial in the scientific community if it goes against established theories or if there is a lack of evidence to support it. It may also be controversial if it goes against commonly accepted beliefs or if there is disagreement among scientists.

3. Can a statement be considered scientifically true if it is not widely accepted?

No, a statement cannot be considered scientifically true unless it has been thoroughly tested and supported by evidence from multiple studies. A statement that is not widely accepted may still be under debate and requires further research to determine its validity.

4. How important is peer review in determining the scientific truth of a statement?

Peer review is crucial in the scientific process as it allows other experts in the field to evaluate the methodology, results, and conclusions of a study. This helps to ensure the accuracy and validity of the statement before it is accepted as scientifically true.

5. Are there any limitations to determining the scientific truth of a statement?

Yes, there are limitations to determining the scientific truth of a statement. Some factors that may affect the accuracy of a study include sample size, bias, and external influences. Additionally, scientific knowledge is constantly evolving and new evidence may arise that challenges previously accepted statements.