How to deal with learning plateau in CS?

• MHB
  • Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs
In summary, the individual is experiencing a learning plateau and is seeking advice on how to overcome it. They suggest following a good course, reading aloud, and practicing multiple times as potential solutions. They also mention that solving actual problems has been more helpful for their learning than abstract hypotheticals. The individual is interested in artificial intelligence and wants to excel in theory, but feels they need to re-read their college subjects due to not having proper notes. They ask if this is normal and if others have had to re-read their subjects after graduation.
shivajikobardan
I have reached a place where I can no more learn new concepts. I feel totally stuck.How do I deal with learning plateau? How do I overcome this plateau. Few things that come in my mind-:

1) Follow a good course from a good teacher.

2) Read it aloud.

3) Practice the same thing multiple things to get insights. deliberate practice

What else can I do to overcome this learning plateau? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fpksOvK5bLVC5C0njB-fNPgzOwj4GjqW/view These are the types of questions I need to deal with and where I am facing this learning plateau..

Technology news on Phys.org
I work in the tech industry for a machine learning software company. I also have a theoretical and not so practical interest in coding concepts and topics. In my path to learning Python really well over the last few years I've discovered that trying to solve actual problems is better for my learning than abstract hypotheticals. If I am learning about classes for example, I can cover the basics with some videos and tutorials, but unless I start coding object-oriented projects I won't care of have use for these concepts. Same thing for machine learning. I can answer all the questions in the world about unsupervised vs. supervised learning, defining NLP, etc. but if I don't use them I will not really appreciate or care about the nuances.

What do you want to do in CS?

Jameson said:
I work in the tech industry for a machine learning software company. I also have a theoretical and not so practical interest in coding concepts and topics. In my path to learning Python really well over the last few years I've discovered that trying to solve actual problems is better for my learning than abstract hypotheticals. If I am learning about classes for example, I can cover the basics with some videos and tutorials, but unless I start coding object-oriented projects I won't care of have use for these concepts. Same thing for machine learning. I can answer all the questions in the world about unsupervised vs. supervised learning, defining NLP, etc. but if I don't use them I will not really appreciate or care about the nuances.

What do you want to do in CS?
Currently my goal is to learn artificial intelligence and excel in theory. So that I am ready for advanced concepts. I have math foundations as I am engineering student and studied tons of mathematics. And was really good at it. But it feels like I need to re read all these math and cs subjects as I didn't make proper notes for this subject. Will take me full 1-2 year to do all this.. What do you think about this? Is this normal? Did you guys had to reread your college subjects again after graduation...I wish I made proper notes :(

Related to How to deal with learning plateau in CS?

1. What causes a learning plateau in CS?

A learning plateau in CS can be caused by a variety of factors, such as lack of motivation, inadequate study techniques, or a lack of challenging material. It can also be a result of not setting specific goals or not seeking out new information and skills.

2. How can I overcome a learning plateau in CS?

To overcome a learning plateau in CS, it is important to identify the cause of the plateau and address it accordingly. This may involve finding new and challenging material to study, setting specific and achievable goals, or seeking out additional resources such as online courses, coding challenges, or study groups. It is also important to maintain a positive attitude and stay motivated.

3. Is it normal to experience a learning plateau in CS?

Yes, it is completely normal to experience a learning plateau in CS. Learning is not always a linear process and it is common to encounter obstacles and challenges along the way. The key is to not get discouraged and to keep pushing through until you break through the plateau.

4. How long does a learning plateau in CS typically last?

The duration of a learning plateau in CS can vary depending on the individual and the specific circumstances. It can last anywhere from a few days to several weeks or even months. The important thing is to stay persistent and continue to work towards improving your skills and knowledge.

5. What strategies can I use to prevent a learning plateau in CS?

To prevent a learning plateau in CS, it is important to have a well-rounded approach to learning. This may include setting specific goals, seeking out challenging material, regularly practicing and reviewing concepts, and seeking feedback from others. It is also helpful to continually seek out new resources and opportunities for learning, such as attending conferences or workshops, or participating in coding challenges.