How to Create Vector Notations in Microsoft Word 2007?

In summary, the conversation is about how to create vector quantities in Microsoft Word 07. The steps for creating vector notation are: 1) Select Insert->Object, 2) Select Microsoft Equation 3.0, 3) Type in the equation, 4) Select the object to identify as a vector, 5) Click on the vector arrow from the equation editor toolbox, and 6) Click outside the equation when done. It is suggested to record a macro for repetitive tasks.
martyk
Hi,

Do anyone know how I could make vector quantities in Microsoft Word 07, for example something like F = ma, I want a vector notation on F and a. Please be as specific as you can.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I don't have 2007 up on this computer, but IIRC its the same procedure as 2003, its just a matter of locating the insert object on the correct ribbon.

For 2003, I do this:

Select Insert->Object
Select Microsoft Equation 3.0
Type in my equation
Select the object I want to identify as a vector, and click on the little vector arrow thing from the embellishments portion of the free-floating equation editor toolbox that popped up
Click somewhere outside of the equation when I'm done

Like I said, I'm pretty sure 2k7 still uses Microsoft Equation 3.0, but hopefully someone can confirm.

Yes, you go "Insert" tab ->Equation from Symbols group

Very close to dotman's reply:
Click on Insert > Equation > Insert New Equation... and enter the equation. Afterwards, add vector arrow accent by selecting the character and then clicking Accents > Rightwards Harpoon Above or similar. You can then add your equation to the list of quick-select equations by clicking the down arrow next to your equation and choosing "Save as new Equation".
If you're going to be making lots of vectors, you can record a macro for the appropriate steps (View > Macro > Record Macro) instead of doing a lot of repetitive clicking in the same spots.

I found it! Thanks for the help everyone, appreciate it.

Related to How to Create Vector Notations in Microsoft Word 2007?

1. What are vector quantities in Word 2007?

Vector quantities in Word 2007 are objects or elements that have both magnitude and direction. In Word 2007, vector quantities can include elements such as shapes, images, and charts that can be resized and repositioned using the arrow keys or by dragging and dropping.

2. How do I insert vector quantities in Word 2007?

To insert vector quantities in Word 2007, go to the "Insert" tab and select the desired vector element from the "Illustrations" or "Shapes" options. You can then resize and reposition the vector element as needed.

3. Can I customize the properties of vector quantities in Word 2007?

Yes, you can customize the properties of vector quantities in Word 2007 by right-clicking on the element and selecting "Format Shape" or "Format Picture." This will allow you to change the size, color, and other properties of the vector element.

4. How can I edit vector quantities in Word 2007?

To edit vector quantities in Word 2007, simply click on the element and use the options in the "Format" tab to make changes. You can also right-click on the element and select "Edit Points" to manipulate the individual points of the vector element.

5. Is it possible to convert vector quantities to other file formats in Word 2007?

Yes, you can convert vector quantities to other file formats in Word 2007 by right-clicking on the element and selecting "Save as Picture." This will allow you to save the vector element as a JPEG, PNG, or other file format.