How to Create a T vs Q Diagram for Carbon Dioxide?

• Thread starter theintarnets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of carbon dioxide, including its lack of a liquid phase and its sublimation at -78.5°C with a latent heat of sublimation. The conversation also mentions the task of drawing a phase diagram for a 1kg sample of carbon dioxide in a temperature range of -125°C to -25°C and provides a helpful resource for constructing the diagram.
theintarnets

Homework Statement

Carbon dioxide (CO2) is an interesting substance. It has no liquid phase at normal pressure; it sublimates rather than melts, going directly from the solid form (dry ice) to a vapor. This sublimation occurs at -78.5°C with a latent heat of sublimation (similar to a heat of vaporization) of 573,100 J/kg. Draw the phase diagram (T vs. Q) for a 1kg sample of carbon dioxide that covers the temperature range from -125°C to -25°C.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've seen T vs P diagrams, and P vs V diagrams, but I have no idea how to construct a T vs Q diagram. I have to work off of the fact that Q in this case refers to the amount of heat required to raise the temperature, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to How to Create a T vs Q Diagram for Carbon Dioxide?

1. What is a T vs Q diagram?

A T vs Q diagram, also known as a T-Q plot, is a graphical representation used in thermodynamics to analyze and visualize the behavior of a thermodynamic system. It shows the relationship between temperature (T) and heat added or removed (Q) during a process.

2. How do I create a T vs Q diagram?

To create a T vs Q diagram, you will need the temperature and heat data for the system. Plot the temperature on the x-axis and the heat on the y-axis. Connect the data points to form a curve, and label the diagram with relevant values and units. You can also use software programs, such as Microsoft Excel, to create a T vs Q diagram.

3. What are the uses of a T vs Q diagram?

A T vs Q diagram is used to analyze and understand the thermodynamic processes of a system. It helps to identify the type of process (isothermal, adiabatic, etc.), determine the efficiency of an engine, and calculate the work done by or on the system. It is also used in the design and analysis of heat engines, refrigeration systems, and other thermodynamic processes.

4. How is a T vs Q diagram different from a P vs V diagram?

A T vs Q diagram shows the relationship between temperature and heat, while a P vs V diagram shows the relationship between pressure and volume. Both diagrams are used to analyze thermodynamic processes, but they represent different variables and provide different information about the system.

5. Can a T vs Q diagram be used for all thermodynamic processes?

A T vs Q diagram can be used for reversible processes, where the temperature remains constant throughout the process. For irreversible processes, where the temperature changes, a T vs Q diagram cannot be used. In such cases, a P vs V diagram or other thermodynamic diagrams may be more suitable.