How to Correctly Size Air Powered Gear Motors for a Heat Treat Car Drive System?

In summary, the conversation discusses using air powered gear motors to replace a continuous cable loop drive for a heat treat car. The person is seeking guidance on how to correctly size the motors and mentions using foot mounted air powered gear motors with v type rollers. They also mention the need for two motors to avoid racking and forcing the car off the track. The desired speed is for the car to traverse 15ft in less than 30 seconds. The person requests any additional guidance and information from the group.
Jim@CMC
Hello all I am very new to this sight and am not an engineer. I am a mechanic tasked with building a powered drive system for our heat treat car. We currently use a continuous cable loop drive but we would like to change it to air powered gear motors. My question is this, how to size it correctly.

I would like to use a foot mounted air powered gear motor with v type roller. At this point I can use any diameter roller under 8". These will run on inverted angle iron mounted to the floor. The load is variable between 5000# and 12000#. I am assuming due to the size and structure of the car that we would use 2 motors to avoid racking and possibly forcing the car off the track. I would like the car to traverse 15ft in less than 30 seconds.

Any guidance would be appreciated and if I am missing any needed information please let me know, thank you.

Jim

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Related to How to Correctly Size Air Powered Gear Motors for a Heat Treat Car Drive System?

1. What is heat treating and why is it important for car drive systems?

Heat treating is a process of heating and cooling metal components in a controlled manner to alter their physical and mechanical properties. It is important for car drive systems because it can improve the strength, durability, and wear resistance of the components, leading to better overall performance and longer lifespan of the system.

2. What are the common methods of heat treating for car drive systems?

The most common methods of heat treating for car drive systems include annealing, quenching and tempering, carburizing, and nitriding. Annealing involves heating the metal to a high temperature and then slowly cooling it to make it softer and more ductile. Quenching and tempering involves heating the metal to a high temperature and then rapidly cooling it to increase its hardness and strength. Carburizing and nitriding involve diffusing carbon or nitrogen into the surface of the metal to improve its wear resistance.

3. How does heat treating affect the performance of car drive systems?

Heat treating can greatly improve the performance of car drive systems by increasing the strength and hardness of the components, reducing wear and friction, and improving their ability to withstand high temperatures and stresses. This can result in smoother operation, better fuel efficiency, and longer lifespan of the system.

4. What types of metals are commonly used in car drive systems and how do they respond to heat treating?

Common metals used in car drive systems include steel, aluminum, and cast iron. These metals have different compositions and properties, which can affect how they respond to heat treating. Steel, for example, can be easily hardened and strengthened through heat treating, while aluminum is more difficult to heat treat due to its high thermal conductivity. Cast iron is commonly used for car engine blocks and can be heat treated to improve its strength and wear resistance.

5. What are some potential risks or drawbacks of heat treating car drive systems?

One potential risk of heat treating car drive systems is the possibility of warping or cracking of the components due to the rapid temperature changes. This can be mitigated by carefully controlling the heating and cooling processes. Another drawback is the added cost and time associated with heat treating, as it requires specialized equipment and expertise. Additionally, if not done properly, heat treating can actually weaken the components instead of strengthening them. Therefore, it is important to follow proper procedures and guidelines when heat treating car drive systems.