How to convert photodiode voltage to any photonic unit

In summary: No, the output power of your PV panel would be the same at any angle, as long as the PV panel is producing power.
rc101268
How can I convert the voltge measured across a photodiode to light output or intensity or any other photonic unit?
I am trying to measure the light intensity/output of some LEDs using a photodiode but the photodiode measures voltage as a function of light intensity.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to calibrate it using a light source of known intensity. Some light bulbs have their light output printed on the package. Look for lumens, not watts. You'll have to find out the distance from the bulb that the intensity is measured but once you have that you can set up your detector at that distance in an otherwise dark room and measure voltage. Then you'll know that X lumens results in Y volts. With several X and Y data points you should be able to make a good graph to correlate voltage to lumens.

^^
Thanks
The radiant power(watt) of the LED plotted against time is given in percentage on the data sheet, but no information on the distance it was measured.
I want to believe this radiant power is equal to the lighting flux?

I believe that radiant flux and luminous flux (lux) are two different quantifications- one measures intensity of light based on power (watts) the latter measures light intensity in terms of perceived reactivity in the human eye.

Tell me if I am right or wrong about that.

Also, I had a question that is along the lines of this thread: if i had a light intensity meter (lux or radiant flux) and I went outside in the sun and pointed it straight at the sun, then to 45 degrees from direct incidence, and then 90 degrees, 180 degrees... I would expect to see changes in Watts right?

If yes, now let's assume I have a PV panel that is some angle delta theta away from direct sunlight incidence, would the output power of my PV panel be therefore less?
At 45, 90, 180 degrees?

To convert the voltage measured across a photodiode to any photonic unit, you would need to first determine the conversion factor for your specific photodiode. This can be done by calibrating the photodiode with known light intensities or by consulting the manufacturer's specifications.

Once you have the conversion factor, you can use it to convert the voltage readings to the desired photonic unit. For example, if the conversion factor is in units of volts per watt, you can multiply the voltage reading by this factor to obtain the light output in watts. If the conversion factor is in units of volts per lux, you can multiply the voltage reading by this factor to obtain the light intensity in lux.

It is important to note that the conversion factor may vary for different photodiodes and also for different wavelengths of light. So, it is important to use the correct conversion factor for your specific setup.

Additionally, it is also possible to use a data acquisition system or software to directly convert the voltage readings to the desired photonic unit. These systems often have pre-programmed conversion factors for various photodiodes and light sources, making the conversion process easier.

In summary, to convert the voltage measured across a photodiode to any photonic unit, you would need to determine the conversion factor for your specific setup and use it to convert the voltage readings accordingly.

Related to How to convert photodiode voltage to any photonic unit

1. How do I convert photodiode voltage to photonic units?

The conversion of photodiode voltage to photonic units depends on the specific unit you want to convert to. Generally, the conversion is done by using a calibration factor specific to your photodiode and the unit you want to convert to. This calibration factor can be found in the datasheet of your photodiode or can be calculated using the responsivity and quantum efficiency of the photodiode.

2. What are the different photonic units that can be converted from photodiode voltage?

Some common photonic units that can be converted from photodiode voltage include watts, lux, lumens, and irradiance. The choice of unit will depend on the application and the range of values that need to be measured.

3. Can I use a simple formula to convert photodiode voltage to photonic units?

As mentioned earlier, the conversion of photodiode voltage to photonic units requires a calibration factor specific to your photodiode. While there are some simple formulas that can be used for a rough estimation, for accurate measurements, it is recommended to use the calibration factor provided by the manufacturer or calculate it using the appropriate parameters.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of the conversion from photodiode voltage to photonic units?

The accuracy of the conversion depends on the accuracy of the calibration factor used. To ensure accuracy, it is important to use a well-calibrated photodiode and to follow the recommended calibration procedure provided by the manufacturer. Additionally, regular calibration checks can be done to ensure the accuracy of the measurements.

5. Are there any limitations when converting photodiode voltage to photonic units?

Yes, there are some limitations when converting photodiode voltage to photonic units. The accuracy of the conversion can be affected by factors such as ambient temperature, humidity, and aging of the photodiode. Additionally, the conversion may not be accurate for very low or very high intensity light sources. It is important to consider these limitations when using the conversion for precise measurements.