Radiometry, photocurrent in optics simulation

In summary, an area of the wall with a surface area of dAw would produce a photocurrent if irradiance on the dAw received from the LED is known. However, it is unclear how to estimate the photocurrent given only the irradiance on the dAw element.
vst98
Hi all,

I have to estimate a photocurrent produced in the following simulation setup.
Photodiode (detector) and LED (spaced 2cm) lie on one axis, oriented toward a wall (radiometer film) which is parallel to the axis and at a distance of about 10cm from the axis. How much photocurrent would an area dAw of the wall produce on the photodiode if irradiance on dAw received from the LED is known.

Further details:
- The photodiode and LED don't point directly to the wall but are tilted to 70 degrees.
- Irradiance on the dAw is in the order of 10-3 W/cm2, I will assume that the wall is totally reflecting and behaves like Lambertian scatterer.
- Geometry is known, that is detector (photodiode) area, dAw area, their distance and normal angles to the connection line are known.

It seems to me that I could use

[tex]\phi_1 = L_1\frac{dA_1*cos\theta_1*dA_2*cos\theta_2}{r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]L_1 = \frac{I_1 }{dA_1*cos\theta_1}[/tex]

Φ1 is the flux (power) received by the photodiode of detector area dA1 , dA2 is the area of the
wall elment, θ1 and θ2 are angles normals of the dA1 and dA2 make with connecting line r.

If I could supstitute radiance L1 in the equation for the Φ1 I could get to the photocurrent, but L1 is expressed in terms of intensity I1 emitted from the
wall element dA1 which is in [W/sr] units and I know iradiance E, which is [W/m2].
so I got stuck here.There is also another way I can approach this problem. In simulation, I can turn the photodiode to be a source,
and get irradiance on the same dAw element from the photodiode-source and from the LED. But I am not sure if i could use this somehow to estimate the photocurrent.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll try again to explain my problem clearly.
If I found irradiance on the wall element dAw from the LED diode to be Eled and
then independently found irradiance on the same dAw from the photodiode to be Epd
(I can make a detector area of the photodiode to be a source of rays in simulation).
Could I estimate power, or anything, which would be received on the photodiode (detector now)
from dAw when I switch on my LED source ?

Could take advantage of the Invariance of radiance here?
Anyone who has some thoughts ?

Related to Radiometry, photocurrent in optics simulation

1. What is radiometry?

Radiometry is the scientific study of radiation, which includes all forms of electromagnetic radiation, such as light, radio waves, and x-rays. It involves measuring and quantifying the amount and properties of radiation, including its intensity, energy, and wavelength.

2. How is radiometry used in optics simulation?

In optics simulation, radiometry is used to calculate and analyze the behavior of light as it interacts with different materials and surfaces. This includes determining the amount of light that is reflected, absorbed, or transmitted by an object, as well as the distribution of light in an optical system.

3. What is photocurrent in optics simulation?

Photocurrent is the electric current that is generated when light is incident on a photosensitive material, such as a solar cell or photodiode. In optics simulation, it is used to model the performance of these devices and predict their response to different light sources.

4. How is photocurrent calculated in optics simulation?

Photocurrent is typically calculated using the principles of radiometry and the properties of the photosensitive material, such as its quantum efficiency and responsivity. It can also be simulated using computer software that can model the behavior of light and its interaction with materials at a molecular level.

5. What are some applications of radiometry and photocurrent in optics simulation?

Radiometry and photocurrent are used in a wide range of applications in optics simulation, such as in the design and optimization of optical systems, the development of photovoltaic devices, and the analysis of light scattering and absorption in materials. They are also crucial in the field of remote sensing, where they are used to measure and map the properties of objects and surfaces from a distance using satellite or airborne sensors.

Back