How to convert an inch dimension to arc minutes for precise measurement?

• Thread starter SevenToFive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arc
In summary, the conversation discussed converting an inch dimension to arc minutes in order to compare to the backlash in gearing for a customer's 3 foot diameter roll. The conversion was calculated using the circumference and allowed movement, which resulted in an answer of 23.87 arc min. Another method using the navigational offset rule was also mentioned, resulting in a similar answer of 25 arc min. The conversation participants expressed their appreciation for the help.
SevenToFive
How can l convert an inch dimension to arc minutes? We have a customer who requires a 3 foot diameter roll not move more than an 1/8 inch. I need to convert the 1/8 inch to arc minutes to compare to the backlash in our gearing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
SevenToFive said:
How can l convert an inch dimension to arc minutes? We have a customer who requires a 3 foot diameter roll not move more than an 1/8 inch. I need to convert the 1/8 inch to arc minutes to compare to the backlash in our gearing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
1/8" is a fraction of the circumference and arc min is the associated angle.

18" is radius and the angle is [1/(8*18)] rad = [{(180*60)/(8*18)}/π] arc min = 75/π = 23.87 arc min

Last edited:
Likes SevenToFive
I get a different answer, by a factor of π.
D =36"
Allowed Move = 1/8" = 0.125"
Circumference = π⋅D = 113.1"
Circum/Allowed Move = 113.1/0.125 = 904.8 (the fraction of a revolution req'd to move 1/8")
Allowed Rotation = 360°/904.8 = 0.3979° = 23.87 arc min

Likes SevenToFive
Tom.G said:
I get a different answer, by a factor of π.
D =36"
Allowed Move = 1/8" = 0.125"
Circumference = π⋅D = 113.1"
Circum/Allowed Move = 113.1/0.125 = 904.8 (the fraction of a revolution req'd to move 1/8")
Allowed Rotation = 360°/904.8 = 0.3979° = 23.87 arc min
I am sorry I had committed a calculation mistake,now I also get the same answer.

Likes russ_watters, Baluncore, SevenToFive and 1 other person
For small angles, a quick estimate can use the navigational offset rule of “1 in 60, per degree”.
So 1/8” on a radius of 18” = 1 in ( 18 * 8 ) = 1 in 144.
Apply the 1 in 60 rule, then multiply degrees by 60, to get ( 60 * 60 / 144 ) = 25 arc min.

The 1 in 60 navigation rule comes from 1 radian ≈ 57.29578 degrees.
Mathematically we have ( 60' * 57.29578° / 144 ) = 23.8732 arc min.

Likes SevenToFive
Thanks everyone for the replies. Greatly appreciated.

Likes Tom.G

Related to How to convert an inch dimension to arc minutes for precise measurement?

1. What is the purpose of converting to arc minutes?

The purpose of converting to arc minutes is to measure angles with greater precision. Arc minutes are smaller units of measurement than degrees, so they allow for more precise calculations and measurements.

2. How do I convert degrees to arc minutes?

To convert degrees to arc minutes, simply multiply the number of degrees by 60. For example, if you have 5 degrees, the conversion would be 5 x 60 = 300 arc minutes.

3. Can I convert arc minutes back to degrees?

Yes, you can convert arc minutes back to degrees by dividing the number of arc minutes by 60. For example, if you have 300 arc minutes, the conversion would be 300 ÷ 60 = 5 degrees.

4. What is the relationship between arc minutes and arc seconds?

Arc minutes and arc seconds are both units of measurement for angles. One arc minute is equal to 60 arc seconds. This means that there are 60 arc seconds in 1 arc minute.

5. When should I use arc minutes instead of degrees?

Arc minutes are typically used when a more precise measurement of an angle is needed. They are commonly used in fields such as astronomy, navigation, and surveying. Degrees are often used for general measurements and calculations.