How to connect this strain gauge?

Baluncore said:
4 * 120 ohm is the 480 ohm series resistor.
You must study the common mode input voltage range of the amplifier, to work out if the 120 ohm resistors should be placed above or below the bridge.
I was thinking that's the next stage in implementing. If the amp has + and - supplies then obvs the bridge should be hung between them so the common voltage would be around zero. But if single sided amp then the same thing applies but with half of the 480Ω above and half below. I was wondering if the OP will get this all in one go.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Micheal_Leo said:
do i need to connect 480 ohm with these 4(120) ohm series resistors
They are not 'in series' on the bridge. They are in series / parallel - hence the 120 total.

Likes Micheal_Leo
sophiecentaur said:
I was thinking that's the next stage in implementing. If the amp has + and - supplies then obvs the bridge should be hung between them so the common voltage would be around zero. But if single sided amp then the same thing applies but with half of the 480Ω above and half below. I was wondering if the OP will get this all in one go.

Attachments

• n.jpg
    n.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 43
sophiecentaur said:
They are not 'in series' on the bridge. They are in series / parallel - hence the 120 total.
please can you check like this , before attaching strain guage , the DMM show zero but when i attach strain gauge ( replacing one resistor in brdige with guage) it show 1.480V while beam is stationary

Attachments

• br.jpg
    br.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 32
  • br1.jpg
    br1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 42
  • br2.jpg
    br2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Micheal_Leo said:
please can you check like this , before attaching strain guage , the DMM show zero but when i attach strain gauge ( replacing one resistor in brdige with guage) it show 1.480V while beam is stationary
what does that diagram mean? Look at other schematic diagrams. You will notice that connecting wires are actually joined together (often with a dot). Those 120Ω reasistors are not joined to anything so they don't "do" anything. You should try to stick to the conventions if you want to make sense. Have you seen a diagram of a bridge circuit? The power connects across one diagonal and the meter connects across the other diagonal. Your picture shows none of this.

PS the way you actually connect things together and where the wires go is best shown by a conventional circuit diagram. Your breadboard version means nothing to anyone else but you.

Likes Micheal_Leo
What should I understand from that picture? We don't seem to be getting anywhere with this at the moment.

1692996419452.png

We are talking in English and that's because we can rely (at least to some extent) on understanding what we both mean. I cannot converse with you is you don't use the equivalent convention when drawing diagrams. There is a universal standard for drawing circuits. You need to use it. It is not difficult. Just look at text books and serious web pages.

sophiecentaur said:
what does that diagram mean? Look at other schematic diagrams. You will notice that connecting wires are actually joined together (often with a dot). Those 120Ω reasistors are not joined to anything so they don't "do" anything. You should try to stick to the conventions if you want to make sense. Have you seen a diagram of a bridge circuit? The power connects across one diagonal and the meter connects across the other diagonal. Your picture shows none of this.

PS the way you actually connect things together and where the wires go is best shown by a conventional circuit diagram. Your breadboard version means nothing to anyone else but you.
please fine the attached conventional diagram

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 38
  • bridge and gauge.jpg
    bridge and gauge.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 35
Ahh!! I see what's wrong. The four strain gauge resistors ARE the bridge. No external 120Ω resistors are needed. (This is a great example of where one should start with a proper diagram; it can save a lot of wasted time. :smile:

• Love
Likes Tom.G and Micheal_Leo
The series resistor is used to reduce the 5V to 1V across the bridge supply.

Likes Micheal_Leo
I think you may have gottit!!!

Likes Micheal_Leo
sophiecentaur said:
Ahh!! I see what's wrong. The four strain gauge resistors ARE the bridge. No external 120Ω resistors are needed. (This is a great example of where one should start with a proper diagram; it can save a lot of wasted time. :smile:
so should i make wheatstone bridge and connect this full strain bridge to it ? this is confusing that i should make a wheatstone bridge or not when these are full bridge strain gauge resistors

Micheal_Leo said:
so should i make wheatstone bridge and connect this full strain bridge to it ? this is confusing that i should make a wheatstone bridge or not when these are full bridge strain gauge resistors
I thought you had got this. Why would you want another bridge when you have a strain gauge that IS a bridge? As the gauge flexes, resistors increase and decrease and the bridge becomes unbalanced proportionally with the strain. All you need is to reduce the supply volts to 1V by using the series resistor in the supply.

I suspect that you have not looked elsewhere to get an alternative view. there are dozens of web pages about the same problem. I cannot do the whole design job for. you.

Likes Micheal_Leo
sophiecentaur said:
I thought you had got this. Why would you want another bridge when you have a strain gauge that IS a bridge? As the gauge flexes, resistors increase and decrease and the bridge becomes unbalanced proportionally with the strain. All you need is to reduce the supply volts to 1V by using the series resistor in the supply.

I suspect that you have not looked elsewhere to get an alternative view. there are dozens of web pages about the same problem. I cannot do the whole design job for. you.
yes sure , please can you check this reducing the voltage to 1V conventional diagram

Attachments

• vc.jpg
    vc.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 33
Micheal_Leo said:
yes sure , please can you check this reducing the voltage to 1V conventional diagram
You can check this yourself, actually. Show the workings of how you came to this circuit. What would the R1 be and what would the R2 be? The resistance of the bridge will affect how things work, remember.
Note: I will not just give you the answer because that won't help you for next time.

Likes Micheal_Leo
sophiecentaur said:
You can check this yourself, actually. Show the workings of how you came to this circuit. What would the R1 be and what would the R2 be? The resistance of the bridge will affect how things work, remember.
Note: I will not just give you the answer because
THe best R1=10000ohm and R2=2500 in this way i can get 1V from 5V power supply

Micheal_Leo said:
This is ridiculous. We've been here before. Just try it and see that you get much less than 1V because. you are loading the potential divider with 120Ω in parallel with your 2500Ω. You clearly don't want to learn about this; you just want me to post a diagram with full instructions about how to set it up. PF doesn't work that way. (At least, I don't.)

Come back when you can show that you understand about Potential Dividers.

Likes Micheal_Leo
Micheal_Leo said:
... , please can you check this reducing the voltage to 1V conventional diagram
Not good.
Micheal_Leo said:
You are imagining a potentiometer, which will have a high output resistance = 2k, then shorting that with the 120R bridge.

If the bridge has elements of 120R, then the series resistance of each side is 240R, but there are two sides in parallel, which makes the whole bridge appear to be 120R.

Now you know that 120R will drop one volt.
If you need to eliminate 4 volts of the 5, you need four 120R resistors, in series with the bridge, carrying the same current.

Likes Micheal_Leo
" If you need to eliminate 4 volts of the 5, you need four 120R resistors, in series with the bridge, carrying the same current"
this is very confusing , i have 120ohm fully strain guage resistors( 4 resistors in bridge) , i do not need external 120ohm resistors acting as wheatstone bridge till that point i understand , after that as you mentioned that " you need four 120R resistors, in series with the bridge" here bridge is fully strain gauge , than four 120ohm resistors where should i connect on breadboard

sophiecentaur said:
This is ridiculous. We've been here before. Just try it and see that you get much less than 1V because. you are loading the potential divider with 120Ω in parallel with your 2500Ω. You clearly don't want to learn about this; you just want me to post a diagram with full instructions about how to set it up. PF doesn't work that way. (At least, I don't.)

Come back when you can show that you understand about Potential Dividers.
i am trying best to understand it

Micheal_Leo said:
You are way out of your depth.
Study ohms law.

Micheal_Leo said:
i do not need external 120ohm resistors acting as wheatstone bridge
What you need is 480Ω. It is a complete coincidence that you happen to have four 120Ω resistors and that they will give you 480Ω when connected in series. You should try to work out how you would get 1V if your supply volts were 6V - just one resistor is needed.
Micheal_Leo said:
I think you are trying to get as much help as possible without actually learning anything. What is your level of Electronics / Science qualification? I assume that you want to do some mechanics measurements using electronics without actually learning the electronics. your only option, afaics, is to buy a working strain gauge unit and fix it to your mechanics experiment. If that would be too costly then choose a different mechanics project.

sophiecentaur said:
What you need is 480Ω. It is a complete coincidence that you happen to have four 120Ω resistors and that they will give you 480Ω when connected in series. You should try to work out how you would get 1V if your supply volts were 6V - just one resistor is needed.

I think you are trying to get as much help as possible without actually learning anything. What is your level of Electronics / Science qualification? I assume that you want to do some mechanics measurements using electronics without actually learning the electronics. your only option, afaics, is to buy a working strain gauge unit and fix it to your mechanics experiment. If that would be too costly then choose a different mechanics project.
Voltage Source (VS) = 6V
Volts (V) = 1V( needed)
Resistance 1 (R1) = 480
Resistance 2 (R2) = 96
R2 should be 96 ohm to have 1V output

specifically voltage divider

i am learning from deep heart and thinking , today learn so many things , sometime get stuck

Micheal_Leo said:
R2 should be 96 ohm to have 1V output
Alternatively, what R1 would you need so that you could just use the 120Ω for R2. Just re-arrange the equation to find the single resistor that can be used for R1. Certainly not 480Ω.

Likes Micheal_Leo
sophiecentaur said:
Alternatively, what R1 would you need so that you could just use the 120Ω for R2. Just re-arrange the equation to find the single resistor that can be used for R1. Certainly not 480Ω.
after rearranging
R1= (Vin-Vout)R2 / Vout
IF Vin=5
Vin=5
R2=120
Vout=1
So R1=480 ohm
i always getting 480

Micheal_Leo said:
i always getting 480
OMG - such a scatterbrain. That's not surprising if you started with 5 volts. My question was about starting with 6V. :headbang: :wink:

sophiecentaur said:
OMG - such a scatterbrain. That's not surprising if you started with 5 volts. My question was about starting with 6V. :headbang: :wink:
If Vin=6
R1= (Vin-Vout)R2 / Vout
R2=120
Vout=1
So R1=600 ohm

That’s better. I could believe that. So you learned a lesson about ‘garbage in garbage out’.
So build it and draw a proper diagram of your circuit. See what Arduino does now.

Likes Micheal_Leo
sophiecentaur said:
That’s better. I could believe that. So you learned a lesson about ‘garbage in garbage out’.
So build it and draw a proper diagram of your circuit. See what Arduino does now.
so i do not have 600 full ( i have 510+100) , the circuit given below

Attachments

• image circcuit.jpg
    image circcuit.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 32
Micheal_Leo said:
so i do not have 600 full ( i have 510+100) , the circuit given below
This is a very common situation for a home experimenter. The 'wanted' 1V is not critical so whatever you get will be 'near enough for Jazz' as long as you got your sums right.

Likes Micheal_Leo
sophiecentaur said:
This is a very common situation for a home experimenter. The 'wanted' 1V is not critical so whatever you get will be 'near enough for Jazz' as long as you got your sums right.
so the circuit is good ?

Micheal_Leo said:
so the circuit is good ?
I have no idea what that wiring picture is about. You have TWO power supplies??? Why don't you get used to drawing a proper conventional circuit diagram with straight lines, right angled bends when needed - Just like the ones you can see everywhere else?
Remember what I told you about speaking English. So Speak proper circuit diagrams. Practice and look at the millions you can find on the net.

sophiecentaur said:
I have no idea what that wiring picture is about. You have TWO power supplies??? Why don't you get used to drawing a proper conventional circuit diagram with straight lines, right angled bends when needed - Just like the ones you can see everywhere else?
Remember what I told you about speaking English. So Speak proper circuit diagrams. Practice and look at the millions you can find on the net.
yes i have two power supplies , one for AD620 and one for strain gauge ,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 39
Likes sophiecentaur
Why do you have 6 volt supply for AD620?
Can you not use 5 volts for AD620 and Bridge supply?

Baluncore said:
Why do you have 6 volt supply for AD620?
Can you not use 5 volts for AD620 and Bridge supply?
i have supplied 5v to both strain guage and AD620 , however while measuring output from AD620 , mV values fluctuates a lot , even the beam not bend

DMM output reading from AD620