How to configure a T connection for graywater collection

• Thread starter DannySmythe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, the person is thinking of ways to reduce water usage and costs. They are considering installing a solenoid valve to divert water to the rain tank instead of the sewer when the faucet is turned on.
DannySmythe
Because of drought conditions here in California, I am building a graywater collection system. One aspect of this system is the collection of water from the sink while it is running just to get hot water. So the idea is that whenever I need hot water in the bathroom (for shower or sink) I run the faucet until the water temperature reaches some preset temperature. During this time I want this clear water to be routed to my large rain tank. Once the water is warm, I shut off the flow to the rain tank and it flows normally down the sewer and then I can contaminate it with soap, dirt, etc. (This is still considered graywater, but I want to collect only clear water for now).
I purchased a motorized valve (for a swimming pool) that switches from one port to the other and it works well except it is too expensive ($70) and is so sloooow (60 secs).
What I want to do is use a cheap 1" irrigation solenoid/valve that would be much cheaper and faster.
The questions are:
1. Will this work?
2. How to configure it?
The idea is that the path to the sewer is always open and the path to the rain tank is controlled by the solenoid/valve. If the drain runs vertically down to the rain tank and the sewer is connected to the horizontal part of the Tee near the top, then when the solenoid valve is on, most of the water will go to the rain tank because it is a vertical drop. Then when the solenoid/valve is off, the water has to flow to the sewer.
My worry is that the solenoid valve only works with a certain pressure and may cause enough turbulence to lose a lot of water to the sewer when on.
Ideas appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any valve in the drain line runs a risk of sending contaminated water to your rain water tank. I'm assuming that the water is pressurized on delivery; so, why not put a solenoid (or even a manual valve) on the hot feed line and divert the water back to the rain tank? You could use a timer, or even feel the line temperature, to know that the water is hot. Then, use the sink/shower as normal. No risk and smaller, less expensive parts. An on-demand heater at the bathroom would also solve your problem and not waste hot water.

Related to How to configure a T connection for graywater collection

1. What is graywater and why is it important to collect it?

Graywater is any type of gently used water from household sources such as sinks, showers, and laundry machines. It is important to collect graywater because it can be reused for activities such as watering plants or flushing toilets, reducing overall water consumption and promoting sustainability.

2. How do I determine the best location for a T connection for graywater collection?

The best location for a T connection will depend on the layout of your plumbing system and the areas where graywater is generated in your household. In general, it should be located after the main sewer line and before the wastewater treatment system in order to divert graywater for collection.

3. What materials do I need to configure a T connection for graywater collection?

To configure a T connection for graywater collection, you will need a T pipe fitting, PVC pipes, PVC glue, a hacksaw, and a pipe wrench. You may also need a permit from your local government, depending on the regulations in your area.

4. Can I use graywater for any purpose after it is collected?

Graywater can be used for various purposes such as irrigation, toilet flushing, and laundry. However, it is not safe to use for drinking or cooking, and should not come into contact with any open wounds or cuts.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when configuring a T connection for graywater collection?

When configuring a T connection for graywater collection, it is important to make sure that the graywater is not mixed with the main sewer line or the potable water supply. It should also be regularly maintained and cleaned to avoid any potential health hazards. Additionally, be sure to follow any regulations or guidelines set by your local government regarding graywater collection and usage.