How to Compute the Line Integral Over a Piecewise Curve?

In summary, the problem asks for the line integral of the function (-x^2 + y^2)dx + xydy over the curved line C, which can be split into two segments C1 and C2 with different parameter values. The integral is to be computed by adding the integrals over C1 and C2. Further guidance is needed to solve the problem.
aruwin
I have no idea how to even start with this problem. I know the basics but this one just gets complicated. Please guide me!Find the line integral:
∫C {(-x^2 + y^2)dx + xydy}
When 0≤t≤1 for the curved line C, x(t)=t, y(t)=t^2
and when 1≤t≤2, x(t)= 2 - t , y(t) = 2-t.
Use x(t) and y(t) and C={(x(t),y(t))|0≤t≤2}
Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me as though you could define

$$C_{1}:\quad 0\le t\le 1,\quad x=t,\quad y=t^{2},$$
and
$$C_{2}:\quad 1\le t\le 2,\quad x=2-t,\quad y=2-t.$$

You're asked to compute
$$\int_{C}=\int_{C_{1}}+\int_{C_{2}}.$$
Where do you go from here?

Related to How to Compute the Line Integral Over a Piecewise Curve?

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that calculates the cumulative effect of a vector field along a given curve or path. It is used to determine the work done by a force along a specific path or the amount of fluid flowing through a specified curve.

2. How do I solve a line integral?

To solve a line integral, you must first parameterize the given curve by defining a function of a single variable that describes the path. Then, integrate the function of the vector field along the path using the appropriate method (e.g. Riemann sums, Green's theorem, etc.).

3. What is the difference between a line integral and a double integral?

A line integral involves integrating a function along a curve, while a double integral involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region. Line integrals are used to calculate the effect of a vector field along a path, while double integrals are used to calculate the volume under a surface.

4. How do I choose the appropriate method for solving a line integral?

The method for solving a line integral depends on the type of curve and the vector field involved. Some common methods include using parametric equations, Green's theorem, or line integrals in complex analysis. It is important to understand the properties of each method and select the one that best suits the given problem.

5. What are some common applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to calculate work done by a force, fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and more. They also have applications in geometry, where they are used to calculate the arc length of a curve or the surface area of a surface of revolution.