How to compute the level curves of this function

In summary, the conversation discusses how to compute the level curves for a given function of two variables and the general approach to graphing them. The method involves setting the function equal to a constant and solving for the corresponding variable. For this specific function, the level curves form a family of circles with different radii. However, for different functions, the level curves can take on various shapes depending on the equation. Some level curves may not have a closed-form solution and require numerical methods to plot.
lo2

Homework Statement

I have this function of two variables:

[itex]f(x,y)=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

Where I have to compute the level curves for:

[itex]f(x,y)=-3, -2, -1, 0, 1[/itex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

So yeah well I know that I have to draw the following curves:

[itex]-3=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

[itex]-2=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

[itex]-1=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

[itex]0=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

[itex]1=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

But I must say that I have no idea how they are going to look. So if I would draw these by hand how would they look? Could I perhaps just isolate y?

Physics news on Phys.org
lo2 said:

Homework Statement

I have this function of two variables:

[itex]f(x,y)=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

Where I have to compute the level curves for:

[itex]f(x,y)=-3, -2, -1, 0, 1[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So yeah well I know that I have to draw the following curves:

[itex]-3=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

[itex]-2=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

[itex]-1=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

[itex]0=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

[itex]1=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

But I must say that I have no idea how they are going to look. So if I would draw these by hand how would they look? Could I perhaps just isolate y?
Complete the square for [itex]x^2-4x+y^2\ .[/itex]

[itex]x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]
[itex]=x^2-4x+4+y^2-4[/itex]

[itex]=(x-2)^2+y^2-4[/itex]

SammyS said:
Complete the square for [itex]x^2-4x+y^2\ .[/itex]

[itex]x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]
[itex]=x^2-4x+4+y^2-4[/itex]

[itex]=(x-2)^2+y^2-4[/itex]

Ok so I can rearrange it to:

[itex]4=(x-2)^2+y^2[/itex]

Which is a circle with a radius of 2 and a center at (2,0)?

And what if I cannot rearrange to become a circle? I guess what I would like to have is a general approach that can be applied in all cases.

lo2 said:

No. Sammy just rearranged your expression for f(x,y) to a more convenient form to recognize. You still have to set f(x,y) = to your various constants and graph what you get.

And what if I cannot rearrange to become a circle? I guess what I would like to have is a general approach that can be applied in all cases.

You set f(x,y) = C for your various values of C. This problem apparently gives a family of circles. The graphs can be anything depending on the formula for f(x,y) you are given. You graph them like you learned to do in algebra and calculus.

It is always possible (for this function) to rearrange the terms to have a circle. Just use the generic form

f(x, y) = a = const

and you will see that the only effect of a is on the radius. Well, except perhaps that for some values the radius will be imaginary.

voko said:
It is always possible (for this function) to rearrange the terms to have a circle. Just use the generic form

f(x, y) = a = const

and you will see that the only effect of a is on the radius. Well, except perhaps that for some values the radius will be imaginary.
None of the values in this problem give an imaginary radius.

As long as f(x,y) = a ≥ -4, the radius is not imaginary.

LCKurtz said:
No. Sammy just rearranged your expression for f(x,y) to a more convenient form to recognize. You still have to set f(x,y) = to your various constants and graph what you get.

Ok yeah well I was being a bit fast there, but that was for c = 0.

Ok so we have:

[itex]f(x,y)=C=(x-2)^2+y^2-4 \Leftrightarrow C+4=(x-2)^2+y^2 [/itex]

Ok so this means we have a circle with a center at (2,0) and a radius of [itex]\sqrt{C+4}[/itex], ok?

lo2 said:
Ok yeah well I was being a bit fast there, but that was for c = 0.

Ok so we have:

[itex]f(x,y)=C=(x-2)^2+y^2-4 \Leftrightarrow C+4=(x-2)^2+y^2 [/itex]

Ok so this means we have a circle with a center at (2,0) and a radius of [itex]\sqrt{C+4}[/itex], ok?

Yes. So you get a family of circles. And, as I mentioned earlier, for different functions f(x,y) you might get anything. But the method is simple enough.

LCKurtz said:
Yes. So you get a family of circles. And, as I mentioned earlier, for different functions f(x,y) you might get anything. But the method is simple enough.

Ok thanks for the help!

What if I have this function:

[itex]f(x,y)=xy[/itex]

How would I compute the different level curves? What does this family of curves look like?

LCKurtz said:
You set f(x,y) = C for your various values of C... The graphs can be anything depending on the formula for f(x,y) you are given. You graph them like you learned to do in algebra and calculus.

lo2 said:
Ok thanks for the help!

[itex]f(x,y)=xy[/itex]

How would I compute the different level curves? What does this family of curves look like?

Didn't you read my post #4??

lo2 said:
Ok thanks for the help!

[itex]f(x,y)=xy[/itex]

You set [itex]xy = {\rm const}[/itex] and then solve for [itex]y[/itex]. Surely that is not difficult.

This type of problem relies on you having a basic knowledge of some elementary functions and recognizing their equations. For example, can you recognize a parabola from it's equation? Same for a hyperbola, a circle, an exponential, a straight line (obviously), and possibly also an ellipse.

lo2 said:

Most expressions will not allow a closed-form solution, but nevertheless one must deal with them in practice. Most symbolic/graphic computer packages can plot such contours, and they employ numerical root-finding algorithms, to go from a point (x0,y0) on a contour to a neighbouring point (x0 + Δx, y0 + Δy) on the same contour.

RGV

LCKurtz said:
Didn't you read my post #4??

I did.

But I am not just sure how to rearrange this one:

[itex]f(x,y)=xy[/itex]

I might try this:

[itex]C=xy \Leftrightarrow y=\frac{C}{x}[/itex]

So it is a family of the [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] with just different constants to replace the 1.

How about that?

lo2 said:
I did.

[itex]f(x,y)=xy[/itex]

I might try this:

[itex]C=xy \Leftrightarrow y=\frac{C}{x}[/itex]

So it is a family of the [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] with just different constants to replace the 1.

How about that?

That's all there is to it. So make a simple table of values and plot it for each C required. Or use a graphing calculator.

LCKurtz said:
That's all there is to it. So make a simple table of values and plot it for each C required. Or use a graphing calculator.

Ok well one last question then.

How come I cannot rearrange this one:

[itex]C=x^2-4x+y^2[/itex]

to

[itex]C=x^2-4x+y^2 \Leftrightarrow \sqrt{-x^2+4x+C}=y[/itex]

lo2 said:

to

You can ... well almost.

[itex]C=x^2-4x+y^2\quad \Leftrightarrow \quad \pm\sqrt{-x^2+4x+C}=y[/itex]

... but that doesn't seem too helpful, except perhaps for use in graphing y versus x.

lo2 said:

to

You could, with the addition of the ##\pm## sign. But if you did, would you have recognized that as a circle and know its center and radius? That's why we use standard forms for straight lines and conics. It isn't always desirable to solve for ##y##.

lo2 said:

Every equation f(x, y) = c, where f(x,y) is a bivariate polynomial of degree 2 (aka "quadratic form"), defines a "conic section", which is an ellipse (of which the circle is a special case), a parabola, or a hyperbola. The c constant, depending on the form of the equation, will affect some of its parameters, so you get a parametric family of conic sections.

Related to How to compute the level curves of this function

1. What is the purpose of computing the level curves of a function?

The purpose of computing the level curves of a function is to visually represent the behavior of the function in a two-dimensional plane. This can help in understanding the relationship between the input and output of the function and can provide insights into its overall shape and characteristics.

2. How do you determine the level curves of a function?

To determine the level curves of a function, you need to set the output of the function to a constant value and then solve for the corresponding input values. This process is repeated for different constant values to generate a set of points, which when plotted, create the level curves.

3. Can level curves be computed for any type of function?

Yes, level curves can be computed for any type of function, including single variable, multivariable, and even complex functions. However, the process of computing level curves may vary depending on the type and complexity of the function.

4. What information can be obtained from the level curves of a function?

The level curves of a function can provide information about its behavior, such as the direction of increase or decrease, the presence of critical points, and the overall shape of the function. They can also be used to determine the maximum and minimum values of the function.

5. Are there any software or tools available to compute the level curves of a function?

Yes, there are various software and tools available that can help in computing the level curves of a function. Some examples include MATLAB, Wolfram Alpha, and GeoGebra. These tools use algorithms and mathematical techniques to generate accurate level curves for different types of functions.