How to compare integral of damped oscillatory functions

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of time management. The speakers discussed tips and strategies for effectively managing one's time, such as prioritizing tasks and avoiding distractions. They also touched on the importance of setting realistic goals and maintaining a healthy work-life balance. Overall, the conversation emphasized the value of being organized and efficient in order to achieve success.
Luca
Hello,
I am looking for suggestions, literature, etc., about techniques and theorems useful for comparing improper integrals of functions characterised by a damped oscillatory behaviour.

But let me use the following example to introduce in simple terms what I actually mean.
Consider the function
[tex]
f(x)= \frac{e^{i(1+x)}}{1+x}dx \; ,
[/tex]
we have

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} f(x)dx=\int^{\infty}_{0} \; \frac{cos(1+x)}{1+x}dx \; + \; i \; \int^{\infty}_{0} \; \frac{sin(1+x)}{1+x}dx \; = [/tex]
[tex]=\; Ci(1)\; + \; i \left(Si(\infty)-Si(1)\right) \; = \; Ci(1)\; + \; i \left(\frac{\pi}{2}-Si(1)\right) [/tex]

where [tex]Si(x) [/tex] and [tex]Ci(x) [/tex] denote the Sine Integral and the Cosine Integral functions, respectively.
Thus, the above integral exists. Note that in this case evaluating
[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} \left|f(x)\right|dx[/tex]
would not have helped in verifying convergence (as it diverges).

In other words, looking at a plot of the imaginary component,
[tex]\frac{sin(1+x)}{1+x}[/tex],
the positive and negative areas add up to a finite value.
Positive and negative areas of the real component also add up to a finite value.

Let us now define

[tex]g(x) = \frac{a+ix}{a+t+ix} \; \; \; a, t > 0 [/tex]

what happens when [tex]f(x)[/tex] is multiplied by [tex]g(x)[/tex] ?

[tex] g(x) [/tex] has the following properties

[tex] |g(x)| < 1 [/tex]
[tex] |g(x)| \rightarrow 1 \; as \; x \rightarrow \infty [/tex]

while its argument satisfies

[tex] phase(g(x)) > 0 [/tex]
[tex] phase(g(x)) \rightarrow 0 \; as \; x \rightarrow \infty [/tex]

The above observations suggest that
- the product [tex] f(x)g(x) [/tex] is asymptotic to [tex] f(x) \; as \; x \rightarrow \infty [/tex]
- [tex]|f(x)g(x)| < |f(x)| \; \; \forall x \in [0, \infty ) [/tex]

a plot of the real and imaginary components (see the attached example, where the red line corresponds to [tex]\Re(f(x))[/tex], while the blue one represents [tex]\Re(f(x)g(x))[/tex] ), would therefore show that:

- as [tex]x \rightarrow \infty[/tex], [tex]\Re(f(x)g(x))[/tex] tends to overlap [tex]\Re(f(x))[/tex],
- before that, the amplitude of [tex]\Re(f(x)g(x))[/tex] appears "compressed" wrt [tex]\Re(f(x))[/tex]
- [tex]\Re(f(x)g(x))[/tex] appears "phase shifted" wrt [tex]\Re(f(x))[/tex] along the x-axis (because of the phase contribution of [tex]g(x)[/tex])
- similar considerations apply to [tex]\Im(f(x))[/tex] and [tex]\Im(f(x)g(x))[/tex]

Thus, I would expect the following:

- [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} f(x)g(x)dx \; [/tex] also exists

- and perhaps [tex]\left|\int^{\infty}_{0} f(x)g(x)dx\right| \; < \; \left|\int^{\infty}_{0} f(x)dx\right| [/tex]
(but I am not at all sure, as it depends on how said positive and negative areas, both smaller for the product [tex]f(x)g(x)[/tex] , actually add up together ...)

However, I do not possesses sufficient experience and skills to formalise in a more rigorous way said observations, neither I know whether similar results might apply to a more general class of "damped oscillatory" functions, [tex]f(x)=u(x)+iv(x) [/tex], characterised by the following properties:

- we only know (by other means) that [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} f(x)dx \; [/tex] exists

- and we also know that [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} |f(x)g(x)|dx [/tex] does NOT exist (so, such a convergence test would not help).

Anybody with suggestions about where I could find relevant literature on this subject?

Thank you
Luca

Attachments

• Plot_Real.jpg
    Plot_Real.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Luca,

Thank you for your post and for providing such a detailed example of the type of problem you are looking to solve. Comparing improper integrals of damped oscillatory functions can be a complex and challenging task, but there are certainly techniques and theorems that can be useful in this area.

One technique that may be helpful is the use of Fourier analysis. By decomposing your function into its Fourier components, you can gain a better understanding of its oscillatory behavior and how it may interact with other functions. This can also help in determining convergence or divergence of the integral. Additionally, there are specific theorems, such as the Riemann-Lebesgue lemma, that can be applied to improper integrals involving oscillatory functions.

Another approach is to use complex analysis. This involves looking at the complex plane and using techniques such as contour integration to evaluate integrals involving damped oscillatory functions. This can also be helpful in determining convergence or divergence, as well as in finding the exact value of the integral.

In terms of literature, I would recommend looking into books on Fourier analysis, complex analysis, and special functions. These topics are often covered in advanced calculus or mathematical analysis courses, and there are many textbooks available on these subjects. You may also find relevant research articles by searching for keywords such as "improper integrals," "damped oscillatory functions," and "Fourier analysis."

I hope this helps guide you in your research and I wish you the best of luck in your studies. Please feel free to follow up with any further questions or clarifications.

Related to How to compare integral of damped oscillatory functions

1. What is an integral of a damped oscillatory function?

An integral of a damped oscillatory function is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under the curve of the function. It is used to find the displacement over a period of time for a damped oscillatory system.

2. How do I compare the integral of two damped oscillatory functions?

To compare the integral of two damped oscillatory functions, you can graph them on the same coordinate plane and observe the overall shape of the curves. You can also calculate the numerical value of the integrals and compare them.

3. What factors should I consider when comparing the integral of damped oscillatory functions?

The main factors to consider when comparing the integral of damped oscillatory functions are the amplitude, frequency, and damping coefficient of the functions. These parameters affect the overall shape and behavior of the function and can impact the value of the integral.

4. Can the integral of a damped oscillatory function be negative?

Yes, the integral of a damped oscillatory function can be negative. This indicates that the displacement of the system is in the opposite direction of the initial displacement. It is important to consider the direction of displacement when comparing integrals of damped oscillatory functions.

5. What is the significance of comparing the integral of damped oscillatory functions?

Comparing the integral of damped oscillatory functions can provide insight into the behavior and dynamics of a damped oscillatory system. It can also help in predicting the future behavior of the system and making decisions related to control and optimization.