How to calculate the AH capacity of a battery?

In summary, the speaker made a vinegar battery for a project that appears to only output .001A of current due to a last-minute design change. They are unsure of its mAH rating and would like to know for knowledge's sake. To calculate the AH, the speaker suggests connecting the battery to a load and recording the mA reading over time. They also mention trying to reduce the cell's resistance by moving the cathode and anodes closer together, increasing surface area, or adding a powdered conductor. They also mention the possibility of using a different electrolyte or a more concentrated version of the current one. The speaker also notes that there should not be any abrupt changes in current if the setup is not disturbed, and that the less current drawn
Stephenk53
Summary

I made a vinegar battery that appears to only output .001A of current. I made it very quickly because I had to change my design for a project last minute due to my inability to get a voltage regulator in time. So it is so bad I doubt I could have made a worse battery. Anyway, the project was a rechargeable flashlight and it has already been graded which is why I am not putting this in a homework forum. So how would I find out its mAH rating? I would like to know for knowings sake rather than actual need so if I have to fully discharge the battery to do so that is fine.

Questions
How to calculate the AH
How would I lower the resistance in the battery?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Stephenk53. :welcome:

If you connect your battery to a load, and include your mA meter in the circuit, then record the meter's reading at regular intervals and plot a graph: mA versus time (in hours). The area under your curve will have units of ...?

What are your thoughts on how you might go about reducing the cell's resistance?

It still belongs in the homework subforum because it resembles typical homework.

To reduce the resistance I thought I could move the cathode and anodes of the cells closer together within each cell, although that would reduce voltage but I could change that by increasing surface area of the cathodes and anodes. I could try adding something that is a powdered conductor such as salt into the vinegar or metal powder of a different material as the cathodes and anodes. But if I add a conductor of some kind I would think that would affect the voltage in some way.

As for recording the mA I think I would have some sort of camera record a constant reading from the mA meter to keep track of possible spikes in the readings.

Stephenk53 said:
To reduce the resistance I thought I could move the cathode and anodes of the cells closer together within each cell
That is a reasonable thing to try.

although that would reduce voltage
Why do you think that might happen?

but I could change that by increasing surface area of the cathodes and anodes.
That is another change you could investigate, it may achieve what you are hoping. As might a different electrolyte, or maybe just a more concentrated version of the electrolyte you are using.

If your setup is not disturbed, there should not be any abrupt changes in current, just a gradual reduction as your battery goes flat.

The less current you draw, the more capacity the cell will have. Note that AH (or more properly A-hr) is a unit of measure. Charge capacity is the corresponding physical quantity.

NascentOxygen said:
Why do you think that might happen?

I think it would happen becuase that is what appeared to occur when I had moved the cathode and anodes when I was resealing one of the batteries that had a leak

Stephenk53 said:
I think it would happen becuase that is what appeared to occur when I had moved the cathode and anodes when I was resealing one of the batteries that had a leak
It may have been a loose lead. Movement of electrical connections is the cause of a lot of problems.

Related to How to calculate the AH capacity of a battery?

1. How is AH capacity of a battery calculated?

The AH (ampere-hour) capacity of a battery can be calculated by multiplying the current (in amperes) by the time (in hours) that the battery can sustain that current.

2. What is the formula for calculating AH capacity?

The formula for calculating AH capacity is: AH = Current (in amperes) x Time (in hours).

3. How do I find the current and time values needed for the calculation?

The current value can be found by checking the label or specifications of the battery. The time value can be determined by conducting a discharge test, where the battery is discharged at a constant current until it reaches its endpoint voltage.

4. Can the AH capacity of a battery change over time?

Yes, the AH capacity of a battery can change over time due to factors such as age, usage patterns, and environmental conditions.

5. What is the significance of knowing the AH capacity of a battery?

Knowing the AH capacity of a battery is important as it helps determine the amount of energy that can be stored and delivered by the battery, and how long it can power a device. This information is crucial for selecting the right battery for a specific application.