How to Cancel Phys Org Membership?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter Neandethal00
  • Start date
In summary: reasons.Maybe send me a PM so we can discuss what is bothering you?I would like to be able to completely remove my profile and account from this site.No, I don't think any laws are violated. When you signed up, you specifically agreed to the Terms and Rules, which say the following:Deleting Accounts:Please do not ask us to delete your account. If you no longer want to participate in PF, simply stop posting. If you need to be restrained from posting here, we can ban you, but this will not remove your posts or your profile.Deleting Posts:Normally, we remove or edit posts only if they violate these Guidelines. You
Neandethal00
I tried once before but couldn't delete my profile or membership.

I'm not learning anything new from the sight,
and no one is learning anything from me either.
I see no reason to keep my profile/membership on this site.

Please let me know how can I delete my membership on this site.

Physics news on Phys.org
What site are you talking about?

Are you asking about deleting your membership from this site? This is physicsforums.com, not physics.org or whatever.

You have two options:
1) Stop posting here and/or stop visiting this site.
2) If that's not enough for you, ask us to ban you.

Please note that banning you will not delete your posts. It will simply put a line through your name on your posts, and prevent you from posting in the future.

Sorry, I was talking about Physics Forum site.
You all are saying there is no way to totally remove my profile or account from this site, once I sign up for this site?
Doesn't it violate some kind of law, specially laws of ethics?

Neandethal00 said:
You all are saying there is no way to totally remove my profile or account from this site, once I sign up for this site?

No, I don't think any laws are violated. When you signed up, you specifically agreed to the Terms and Rules, which say the following:
  • Deleting Accounts:
    Please do not ask us to delete your account. If you no longer want to participate in PF, simply stop posting. If you need to be restrained from posting here, we can ban you, but this will not remove your posts or your profile.
  • Deleting Posts:
    Normally, we remove or edit posts only if they violate these Guidelines. You should consider your posts and threads as permanently available for everyone's benefit. If you want us to make an exception (e.g. a question that has not yet received any responses, or a post that contains personal identifying information), you may use the Report button on the post to request action.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and DrClaude
Also from our rules, which you accepted by registering and posting:
All messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of the forum owners. Members grant Physics Forums non-exclusive rights for the content they post. The owners and mentors of Physics Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy goes for member profile information as well.
Which law would it violate? You granted this forum the right to display your posts. The forum is using the right. Old threads are an important part of the forum, because many things have been discussed already so people can look up what has been said. Removing individual posts would disrupt those discussions.

Greg (the forum owner) might rename your account here, if you like to make the connection to your nick less clear.

Neandethal00 said:
We can ban you and remove your access, but we can't remove the content you posted. If we did it would make confusion in the threads where you participated.

Neandethal00 said:
Ethics can mean different things to people.

StevieTNZ said:
Ethics can mean different things to different people.

I fixed your post to remove the insult to the OP... :smile:

Neandethal00 said:
I'm not learning anything new from the sight,
and no one is learning anything from me either.
I see no reason to keep my profile/membership on this site.
Maybe send me a PM so we can discuss what is bothering you? You've been here for quite a while, so if it's something small, maybe we can work it out.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, strangerep and dlgoff
Neandethal00 said:
I feel the same way, but I remain a member and read and post to topics in which I can help. Sometimes I even ask a question. The ability to self-remove ones account would be a good feature, yet I have not yet done this nor asked it to be done for me.

Too much censorship in these forums.
Not only in social threads, censorship runs into scientific threads as well.
I refuse to type anything when I can't express my thoughts.

berkeman said:
I fixed your post to remove the insult to the OP... :smile:
ha ha ha,
Don't you worry, insults do not bother me.
If it did, I'd be in online forums.

Likes f95toli
Neandethal00 said:
Too much censorship in these forums.
Not only in social threads, censorship runs into scientific threads as well.
While I share this opinion as well, you must remember that many of the moderators here see lots of crackpots and posters who ramble on without putting any thoughts into their posts. As the underlying purpose of this forum is to provide established physics knowledge, while not doing some freshman's homework, a balance has been struck and the moderators often err on the side of censorship.
Some moderators are more quick / close threads before the issue is actually resolved or corrected. In fact, if I see certain moderators respond or administer certain areas, I don't bother to participate either. However, the majority (nearly all) of the moderators are excellent.

Likes berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
CalcNerd said:
Some moderators are more quick / close threads before the issue is actually resolved or corrected.
When you see a thread cut off prematurely you can PM the mentor who did the closing and ask that it be reopened. We close them when it appears that there is no constructive discussion consistent with the PF mission and values going on, so if you can be specific about what you want to post into the thread (whether a followup or clarifying question, or a better response than has yet been posted) it helps a lot.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Nugatory said:
We close them when it appears that there is no constructive discussion consistent with the PF mission and values ...
+1

Neandethal00 said:
If your thoughts don't meet the guidelines, or they aren't helpful to the thread or meaningful to the topic of the thread, or are unsubstantiated, then it's very likely that your post may be deleted to prevent the thread from going off topic. If you do not understand why your post was deleted, you should send a private message to the mentor of that forum and ask.

Likes davenn

Related to How to Cancel Phys Org Membership?

1. How do I cancel my Phys Org membership?

To cancel your Phys Org membership, log into your account and go to the settings or account section. Look for an option to cancel your membership and follow the prompts to confirm the cancellation. Alternatively, you can contact the Phys Org customer support team for assistance.

2. Is there a fee for canceling my Phys Org membership?

No, there is no fee for canceling your Phys Org membership. However, if you have an annual subscription, you may not be eligible for a refund for the remaining months of your subscription.

3. Can I cancel my Phys Org membership at any time?

Yes, you can cancel your Phys Org membership at any time. There are no contracts or commitments, so you are free to cancel whenever you want.

4. Will I lose access to my account and its features after canceling my Phys Org membership?

Yes, you will lose access to your account and its features after canceling your Phys Org membership. If you wish to regain access, you will need to renew your membership or create a new account.

5. How long does it take for my Phys Org membership to be canceled?

The cancellation process for your Phys Org membership may vary depending on your payment method and country. In most cases, the cancellation will be processed immediately, but it may take up to 1-2 business days to reflect on your account.