How to calculate with two unknowns

• MHB
  • Thread starter headbang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a system of equations with two unknowns. The process involves multiplying one of the equations by a constant and then adding the two equations together to eliminate one unknown. The resulting value can then be substituted into one of the original equations to solve for the other unknown. The conversation concludes by emphasizing the importance of practice in mastering this method.
headbang
How to calculate with two unknowns.
Solve..

\(\displaystyle 4x-5y=7\)
\(\displaystyle 3y-2x=1\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
headbang said:
How to calculate with two unknowns.
Solve..

\(\displaystyle 4x-5y=7\)
\(\displaystyle 3y-2x=1\)

$$ 4x-5y=7 \ \ (*)$$

We multiply both sides of the second equality by $2$, so we have:

$$2 \cdot (3y-2x)=2 \Rightarrow 6y-4x=2 \ \ (**)$$

$$(*)+(**) \Rightarrow 4x-5y+6y-4x=7+2 \Rightarrow y=9$$

$$4x-5y=7 \overset{y=9}{\Rightarrow } 4x-5 \cdot 9=7 \Rightarrow 4x-45=7 \Rightarrow 4x=52 \Rightarrow x=\frac{52}{4} \Rightarrow x=13$$

Solving……
Multiply second equation with 2 then
-4x + 6y =2………………….(2)
Now add (1) ,(2)
U will get y value and then substitute y value in (1) or (2)
U will get x value
This is the method for solve any 2 equations…………..keep practcing

john123 said:
U will get y value and then substitute y value in (1) or (2)
U will get x value
Just a comment. As "U" has a specific meaning to it ("U" is defined to be the "union" operator) I recommend that you please type out the whole word "you."

-Dan

Thanks for your suggestion.I will rectify my mistake.

Related to How to calculate with two unknowns

1. How do I calculate with two unknowns?

To calculate with two unknowns, you will need two equations with two variables. You can then use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for the values of the unknown variables.

2. Can I solve for two unknowns without using algebra?

In most cases, solving for two unknowns will require algebraic methods. However, there are some special cases where you can use graphical or numerical methods to find the values of the unknown variables.

3. What is the importance of solving for two unknowns?

Solving for two unknowns is important in many areas of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows us to find the relationships between different variables and make predictions or solve problems.

4. What should I do if I have more than two unknowns?

If you have more than two unknowns, you will need an equal number of equations to solve for all the variables. You can use the same algebraic methods, but it may be more complex and time-consuming.

5. Can I solve for two unknowns if I only have one equation?

No, you will need at least two equations to solve for two unknowns. If you only have one equation, you will have an infinite number of solutions and cannot determine the exact values of the unknown variables.