How to Calculate Velocity of a 4-Wheeled Vehicle Using a Pulley System

• Thread starter henry1117
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to finding the velocity of a 4-wheeled vehicle using a string, a pulley, and a weight. The conversation outlines the use of free body diagrams and Newton's 2nd law to derive equations and solve for unknowns in order to determine the velocity of the vehicle. It also mentions the use of kinematic equations to describe the speed of the vehicle at different positions.
henry1117
Ok basically i need help to start off a question as a part of a research type thing.

i need to find out the velocity of a 4 wheeled vehicle if string is wrapped around the rear axel of the vehicle multiple times and the string then extends up above the rear axel onto a pulley where a weight sits.

Basically, as the weight is let go and falls, the vehicle starts moving and i need to know the velocity of the vehicle after the weight has fallen.

so ye, if anyone could start me off on this it would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
henry1117 said:
Ok basically i need help to start off a question as a part of a research type thing.

i need to find out the velocity of a 4 wheeled vehicle if string is wrapped around the rear axel of the vehicle multiple times and the string then extends up above the rear axel onto a pulley where a weight sits.

Basically, as the weight is let go and falls, the vehicle starts moving and i need to know the velocity of the vehicle after the weight has fallen.

so ye, if anyone could start me off on this it would be greatly appreciated

As in all Classic Newton problems, let's start off with Free body diagrams, indicating the forces acting on all bodies of interest. It looks like our FBD for our mass A attatched to the pulley is only acted upon by gravity, downwards, in what we'll call the positive y direction, and tension upwards from the pulley, which we'll call T1 (Lets assume no friction in the pulley)
Our FBD for the car shows a positive tension in our x axis, called T2, and a negative friction along the table (or road) working against the direction of motion. There is also the force of gravity working down on the car, and a normal force acting upwards, but since the table is rigid, and the car is not falling through the road, we can show that Fgcar = FN

Now we will use Newton's 2nd law to derive two important equations that will lead to solving for our unknowns.

Looking at the mass on the pulley, the force in the y direction will be the sum of the forces acting on it, which is simply gravity, and that will equal ma

Fblocky = Fg - T1 = Mblockablock

Next let's look at the motion of the car in the x direction:

Fcarx = T2 - Ff = Mcaracar

Now that we have these two equations, its time to look at some constraints.

We've already discussed that Fgcar = FN for a rigid body, so Mcarg = N (our normal force, which we will need to solve for the force of friction)

Since the whole system is moving together, we can assume that ablock = acar = a

To find our frictional force Ff, it is given by [tex]\mu[/tex]N, where [tex]\mu[/tex] is the coefficient of friction.

So, with these two equations, as long as you know 3 of the following unknowns: T1, T2, Mblock, Mcar, [tex]\mu[/tex], you can use your two equations and two unknowns to solve for acceleration a. Once you know that, you can describe the speed of your system (and hence your car) at any given time at any position, given simple kinematic equations that can be looked up.

hope this helps,

cheers

Last edited:

To calculate the velocity of a 4-wheeled vehicle using a pulley system, we can use the principles of rotational motion and kinematics. First, we must determine the angular velocity of the rear axle, which is equal to the linear velocity of the vehicle divided by the radius of the axle. This can be measured using a tachometer or by counting the number of revolutions per unit time.

Next, we can use the equation v = rω, where v is the linear velocity, r is the radius of the axle, and ω is the angular velocity. This will give us the linear velocity of the vehicle at the rear axle.

To determine the velocity of the vehicle after the weight has fallen, we can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is zero in this case), a is the acceleration, and t is the time. The acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = (mgh)/m, where m is the mass of the weight, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height the weight falls.

Once we have the final velocity at the rear axle, we can use the same equation v = rω to find the linear velocity of the vehicle as a whole.

It is important to note that this calculation assumes that there is no friction or other external forces acting on the vehicle. In reality, there will be some loss of energy due to friction, so the calculated velocity may be slightly lower than the actual velocity of the vehicle.

In conclusion, to calculate the velocity of a 4-wheeled vehicle using a pulley system, we need to determine the angular velocity of the rear axle, calculate the acceleration of the vehicle using the weight and height of the falling weight, and then use the equations of kinematics to find the final velocity.

Related to How to Calculate Velocity of a 4-Wheeled Vehicle Using a Pulley System

1. What is the first step in starting a question?

The first step in starting a question is to identify the topic or subject that the question will be about. This will help guide the direction of the question and ensure that it is clear and specific.

2. How do I make sure my question is clear and concise?

To make sure your question is clear and concise, it is important to use simple and straightforward language. Avoid using technical jargon or complicated sentence structures. Also, try to keep your question focused on one main idea or concept.

3. What are some effective ways to grab the reader's attention in a question?

There are a few ways to grab the reader's attention in a question. One effective way is to use a provocative or thought-provoking statement as the introduction to your question. Another way is to use a statistic or interesting fact related to the topic of your question.

4. How can I ensure my question is relevant and meaningful?

To ensure your question is relevant and meaningful, it is important to do some research on the topic beforehand. This will help you understand the current state of knowledge and identify any gaps or areas that need further exploration. Additionally, you can also seek feedback from colleagues or experts in the field to ensure your question is relevant and meaningful.

5. How do I know if my question is appropriate for my research project?

To determine if your question is appropriate for your research project, it is important to consider the scope and objectives of your project. Your question should align with the overall goals and objectives of your research. Additionally, you can also consult with your supervisor or mentor for guidance and feedback on your question.