How to calculate thermal exchange rate of Air?

In summary: Raymo replied:In summary, if the humidity is 100% and the temperature is 25 degrees Celsius, the air will absorb 2% of the radiation.
AntiSpark
How would I calculate thermal exchange rate of Air for different amounts of humidity?

I'd like to create a graph to show how much radiant heat air would absorb, (at some temperature (10°C) changes depending on the humidity amount, 0 - 100%

Science news on Phys.org
Air in which setup?
Heat capacity changes as function of humidity, you can find formulas somewhere in the internet.

The difference is not significant for most ambient temperatures/humidities. In English units, it is about 1.082 BTU/CFM-F

For air at SAP at MSL ?

I've looked in the internet and haven't found it yet...

Are you looking for the Specific Heat Capacity of humid air?...

See reply 4...

http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...s-how-much-time-is-needed-for-heating-the-air

The heat capacity of humid air is approximately given by:

C p =1.005+1.82H

where 1.005 kJ/kg°C is the heat capacity of dry air, 1.82 kJ/kg°C the heat capacity of water vapor, and H is the absolute humidity in kg water vapor per kg dry air in the mixture. So the specific heat capacity of humid air is greater than dry air and humid air will take more energy to heat by a given amount.

But the difference is quite small. I think 100% RH at 25C is only about 2% water, and if you need to heat the room the temperature, and therefore the water content, is presumably even lower. Taking the 2% water content only increases the specific heat by about 3.6%.

CWatters said:
Are you looking for the Specific Heat Capacity of humid air?...

As I understand it, dry air is heated by radiation by some small amount and 100% humid air by a greater amount?
So I should be able to find or create a formula to make a graph showing the change from 0 to 100% humidity (or find a graph)?

You are forgetting about other, more important, heat transfer mechanisms like conduction and convection. In most practical situations, these will dominate over radiation.

Chestermiller said:
You are forgetting about other, more important, heat transfer mechanisms like conduction and convection. In most practical situations, these will dominate over radiation.

If there are measurements or calculations to show how much they change (if any) depending on the amount of water vapor in the air? I'd take that as well.

But I was looking for how much the air would be warmed by IR radiation, and then that heat would be transferred by conduction and convection.

Seems as tho if I knew what amount of IR radiation would be absorbed by a sample of air that was 1% water vapor, that I would just double that to estimate it for 2% water vapor?

AntiSpark said:
If there are measurements or calculations to show how much they change (if any) depending on the amount of water vapor in the air? I'd take that as well.

But I was looking for how much the air would be warmed by IR radiation, and then that heat would be transferred by conduction and convection.

Seems as tho if I knew what amount of IR radiation would be absorbed by a sample of air that was 1% water vapor, that I would just double that to estimate it for 2% water vapor?

Sorry. I was confused about what you were asking for. For what you are asking, Google
Water Vapor Infrared Absorption Spectrum. Of course, this is just the basic property data. You still need to know how to apply the data in modeling atmospheric heating.

Chet

Related to How to calculate thermal exchange rate of Air?

1. How do you calculate the thermal exchange rate of air?

The thermal exchange rate of air, also known as the heat transfer coefficient, can be calculated by dividing the heat transfer rate by the difference in temperature between the two objects or mediums involved in the heat transfer.

2. What is the formula for calculating the thermal exchange rate of air?

The formula for calculating the thermal exchange rate of air is h = Q / (A * ΔT), where h is the heat transfer coefficient, Q is the heat transfer rate, A is the surface area, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the two objects or mediums.

3. What units are used to measure the thermal exchange rate of air?

The thermal exchange rate of air is typically measured in watts per square meter per kelvin (W/m²K) in the SI system. In some industries, it may also be measured in BTU per hour per square foot per degree Fahrenheit (BTU/hr·ft²·°F).

4. How does the thermal exchange rate of air affect energy efficiency?

The thermal exchange rate of air plays a crucial role in determining the energy efficiency of a system or device. A lower thermal exchange rate means that less heat is lost or gained, resulting in improved energy efficiency.

5. What factors can affect the thermal exchange rate of air?

The thermal exchange rate of air can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of material used for the surface, the velocity of air flow, and the presence of any insulating layers. Additionally, the temperature and humidity levels of the air can also impact the thermal exchange rate.