How to calculate the work function of a metal?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the work function of a certain metal using the equation E=Ek+W. The person made a mistake in converting the units from Joules to eV and also entered the wavelength incorrectly, resulting in the wrong answer. The expert advises the person to check their math and make sure to include the correct units in the calculation.
madayag1
HI I am doing this equation : 14. When a certain metal is illuminated at 3.50x10^2nm the maximum kinetic energy of the ejected electrons is 1.20 eV. Calculate the work function of the metal.
I did this:
E=Ek+W
W=E+Ek
W=hc/Lambda -Ek
=(6.63E-34J.s)(3.00E8m/s)/3.50E2m)-1.20eV
=-1.2

That answer is wrong the correct one is 2.35 eV. what did i do wrong, PLS help me ty and show me what I should of done so i Dont repeat this mistake again.

Physics news on Phys.org
madayag1 said:
W=hc/Lambda -Ek
=(6.63E-34J.s)(3.00E8m/s)/3.50E2m)-1.20eV

Hello madayag1
Look again at the figure you've used for the wavelength - you forgot the nm.
Also, the first part of the calculation is in J, but you've subtracted a value in eV from it.

Did you convert the units, Joule to eV?

The result of 'W=hc/Lambda " is in joules is it not? You cannot subtract ev from joules wiothout a unit conversion.

Also, you have ente3red your wavelength incorrectly.

srry it should be W=( (6.63E-34J.s)(3.00E8m/s) / (3.50E2nm) ) - 1.9E-19J = -1.9E-19
still the wrong answer tho.

madayag1 said:
srry it should be W=( (6.63E-34J.s)(3.00E8m/s) / (3.50E2nm) ) - 1.9E-19J = -1.9E-19
still the wrong answer tho.

You've written the nm part for the wavelength, but did you include it in the calculation?

Check your math. The answer is not negative. Also, what units are reque3sted?

book doesn't say what units is requested

I think work function is normally in ev. Check your math however.

Related to How to calculate the work function of a metal?

1. What is the work function of a metal?

The work function of a metal is defined as the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the metal.

2. How is the work function of a metal calculated?

The work function of a metal can be calculated by dividing the energy of a photon (hν) by the frequency of the photon (ν). This can be expressed in the formula W = hν/ν, where W is the work function, h is Planck's constant, and ν is the frequency of the photon.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work function?

The unit of measurement for work function is electron volts (eV). This unit is commonly used in atomic and molecular physics to measure the energy of particles and photons.

4. How does the work function of a metal affect its properties?

The work function of a metal is directly related to its electronic structure and can determine properties such as electrical conductivity and reactivity. A lower work function indicates that electrons are more easily removed from the metal's surface, making it more conductive and reactive.

5. Can the work function of a metal change?

Yes, the work function of a metal can change depending on the surface conditions and external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities. It can also be altered by applying an external electric field or by treating the metal with certain chemicals.