How to calculate the speed of a cross flow water turbine?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the speed of a cross flow water turbine. The person asking for help is struggling with their machine design and is looking for guidance on the necessary parameters and formula to use. The other person advises that without more information, it is not possible to provide a solution and suggests seeking assistance from a teacher. Additionally, they remind the person that simply providing the formula without understanding the problem is not helpful.
Ballena Joseph
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
How to calculate the speed of cross flow water turbine? Help, I'm struggling on our machine design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You would need a lot more information to do that . Configuration, flow, head, load...more

You need more help than an answer from an internet forum. Talk to your teacher.

Is this what you mean?

2560px-Banki.svg.png

Attachments

• 2560px-Banki.svg.png
    2560px-Banki.svg.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 691
Likes Ballena Joseph
anorlunda said:
You would need a lot more information to do that . Configuration, flow, head, load...more

You need more help than an answer from an internet forum. Talk to your teacher.

Is this what you mean?

View attachment 229672

Yes, that's what I mean.

What if I have all of the parameters to compute the speed of the cross flow turbine, what formula should I use?

Ballena Joseph said:
What if I have all of the parameters to compute the speed of the cross flow turbine, what formula should I use?

In the steady state, the sum of all torques is zero.

This sounds like homework and it should have been posted in the homework forum. We are not allowed to just spoon feed answers to students. You must show your attempt at a solution first.

Likes Ballena Joseph
Ballena Joseph said:
This isn't a 1+1=2 question. You need to give a complete description of what you have and need in order for it to be answerable.

Likes TNUTUNU and Ballena Joseph

Related to How to calculate the speed of a cross flow water turbine?

1. How do I determine the diameter of the turbine?

In order to calculate the speed of a cross flow water turbine, you will first need to know the diameter of the turbine. This can be determined by measuring the distance between the two farthest points on the turbine's blades.

2. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a cross flow water turbine?

The formula for calculating the speed of a cross flow water turbine is: speed = (0.5 x turbine diameter x rotational speed x 60) / (100 x 1000). This will give you the speed of the water turbine in meters per second.

3. How do I determine the rotational speed of the turbine?

The rotational speed of a cross flow water turbine can be determined by counting the number of rotations the turbine makes in a certain amount of time. This can also be measured using a tachometer, which measures the rotational speed directly.

4. What other factors should be considered when calculating the speed of a cross flow water turbine?

In addition to the diameter and rotational speed of the turbine, other factors that should be considered when calculating the speed include the water flow rate, the water density, and the efficiency of the turbine.

5. Can I use the same formula for different sizes of turbines?

The formula for calculating the speed of a cross flow water turbine can be used for turbines of different sizes. However, keep in mind that the efficiency of the turbine may vary depending on its size, so the actual speed may differ slightly from the calculated value.