How to calculate the required specifications of a motor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the planning of a reciprocating rack and pinion design with a cutter attached for cutting purposes. The main concern is calculating the motor specifications based on the mass of the gear, cutter, and cutter velocity. It is noted that there is online information available for calculating cutting power, but mostly for metals. The use of plywood as the material for the design is mentioned, and it is suggested to consider the limits and safety margin of this material. Lastly, the conversation touches upon the purpose of the design and suggests developing a hypothetical plan with design limits.
Kaarmugilan
I am planning to design a reciprocating rack and pinion, as shown in this figure
reciprocating-rack-and-pinion.gif

I plan to attach a cutter to this setup to cut anything.I need to know how to calculate the motor specifications for the given mass of the gear, cutter and cutter velocity
maxresdefault.jpg

I plan to make it with a plywood

Engineering news on Phys.org
Basically, you need to know how much cutting power you need. It's equal to the cutting torque times the cutting rpm (in SI units).

There are some online information, mostly for metals though:

Likes billy_joule and berkeman
"Cut anything," implies this is not a purpose built design so have you asked the right question? If so Jack Action has answered your question but the limit in machine design is the platform which you've chosen to be of plywood. What are the limits of your plywood design? Calculating for a motor based on the mass of the gear, cutter and cutter velocity seems to me to be an odd approach to machine design. Have you considered the fatigue and failure rates of plywood? What's the designed safety margin?

I read something here about homework and projects. If that's what this is I would suggest you begin by developing a hypothetical plan with design limits for the use of your machine. Your first limit is obvious and involves no calculations. What cutting tools can be used in a reciprocating drive and what materials can be cut with a reciprocating cutter? I assume the purpose of your design is to convert rotational motion into oscillating or reciprocal motion? For what it's worth these are just some thoughts and considerations for your design.

Likes Anas Maher

Related to How to calculate the required specifications of a motor?

1. How do I determine the power (in watts) needed for a motor?

The power required for a motor can be calculated by multiplying the torque (in Nm) by the angular velocity (in radians per second). This will give you the power in watts. Alternatively, you can also use the equation P = (T x N)/9.55, where P is power in watts, T is torque in Nm, and N is speed in RPM.

2. What is the formula for calculating the torque (in Nm) required for a motor?

The torque required for a motor can be calculated by dividing the required power (in watts) by the angular velocity (in radians per second). Alternatively, you can also use the equation T = (9.55 x P)/N, where T is torque in Nm, P is power in watts, and N is speed in RPM.

3. How do I determine the voltage and current requirements for a motor?

The voltage and current requirements for a motor can be calculated by dividing the power (in watts) by the efficiency of the motor. The efficiency can be found in the motor's specifications. This will give you the voltage (in volts) and current (in amps) required for the motor to operate at the desired power.

4. What is the difference between rated power and maximum power for a motor?

Rated power refers to the continuous power that a motor can handle without overheating. This power is usually lower than the maximum power, which is the maximum amount of power that a motor can handle for a short period of time before overheating. It is important to consider both the rated and maximum power when determining the required specifications for a motor.

5. How do I choose the appropriate motor size for my application?

The appropriate motor size for your application will depend on various factors such as the required power, torque, speed, and duty cycle. It is important to carefully consider all these factors and select a motor that can meet the requirements without being under or overpowered. Consulting with a motor expert or using online motor selection tools can also help in choosing the appropriate motor size.